K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Kia Sportage EX: passenger side air bag light stays on when

passenger side air bag light stays on when seat is empty goes out when seat is occupied, recently had minor body work, drivers side fender .... grazed deer air bags did not deploy
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
What year is this car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is working as it should. The seat is what turns the air bag on and off on the passenger side. This is all based on the weight in the seat. So, when you sit in the seat the light goes out because that means the air bag should deploy. If you put a 60 lb kid in that seat, the air bag could kill the kid, so the light is on, this disables the air bag on the passenger side. This is how the system is set up to work.
It's working properly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the manual says it should only stay on for 6 seconds when the seat is un occupied not remain constantly on when unoccupied. yes?

Yes, when un occupied the light should stay on. This means the bag won't go off. The light should only go off when there is a passenger in the seat this means the bag will deploy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it never stayed on befor

I will open this back up for the other experts. If it didn't stay on before then this indicates an issue with the air bag system. This will likely have to be scanned. From what you are saying the body shop did, it's not a factor on the air bag system.
Please don't reply to me, or it will lock it to me.
The other experts won't be able to respond. If anyone has any new info, then you reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so is this a problem that the light stays on? everything i have read indicates it is not normal for this light to stay on i wanted to know the cause .what do you think?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you guessing or do you know what the problem actually is

There is no way to know what the problem is without the codes that are being stored. You are saying the light never used to stay on and that is fine, but that means there is a code stored if the system isn't working as it should.
To me, it's working as it should.
When you sit in the seat the passengers air bag is set and ready to deploy, when there is now weight in the seat isn't not going to go off.
As I said, if this isn't normal behavior, then the air bag system will have to be scanned to even begin to locate the cause of the problem.
I just wanted to provide some information regarding the light staying on when seat is unoccupied. Not only does the system look at weight in the seat it also checks whether or not the seatbelt is buckled. If the passenger seat belt is unbuckled and the seat is empty the light should be off. If it remains on you will have to have the vehicle scanned for airbag codes. The body shop should have noted this condition before releasing the vehicle to you. You may reference the below chart for information on what activates the light for the passenger air bag.

K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade