Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

Kia Sportage EX: Changing rear discs and pads on 2005 kia sportage.

Changing rear discs and pads on 2005 kia sportage. I've removed rear brake caliper and holder, removed screw released handbrake, but disc/rotor will not come off, it seems to move part of the way and then spring back, what is holding it
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
Hi there!Is there a rubber plug on the face of the rotor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the problem is the parking brake shoes are hanging up on a rust ridge inside the brake rotor. So, you have to remove the plug, and rotate the rotor until you see the adjuster wheel for the shoes. Then, back the adjustment off as far as you can with a screwdriver by turning the wheel. This will help to clear the rust ridge. Sometimes, you still have to fight a bit with it, but this will help.

Please be sure to rate my answer and let me know if you need further assistance!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your advice, I will not be trying this until saturday, hope it works, the two front discs came off nice and smoothly after a gallon of WD40 and the gentle use of two lump hammers.
Yeah, all you can do is back the parking brake off as far as possible, then hope it will come off over the rust ridge. If not then you will have to use the hammer and walk it over the shoes. But the more you can back off the parking brake the less chance of damage to them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning, just an update reference your advice: Could not find adjuster wheel on hub, eventually got rotor off and found adjuster wheel at bottom of hub hidden behind spring, would have been impossible to get at through small hole in rotor with spring in the way. After all the fighting with rotor I discovered that supplier had sent the wrong size rotors, can only happen in Ireland, but thanks for the advice.