Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Kia Sportage: 2007 Kia Sportage occasionally wont start.

2007 Kia Sportage occasionally won't start. Engine turnover is sluggish like a weak battery. After several minutes it will turn over normally and start. It will then be fine for up to a week and then this occurs again. This is a used car so I don't have a history on the battery.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. This usually means you have a bad battery or starter. You can use a voltmeter to moniter battery voltage while trying to start, if it drops below 11v replace battery, if good replace starter. If you do not have a voltmeter you can remove battery to have load tesed at your locla parts store for free. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why would it turn over slowly for several minutes and then turn over at a normal rate when the charge in the battery should be wearing down? The behavior I'm seeing is the opposite of a normal battery problem. The starter seems to be fine and the solenoid sounds like it's always engaging. Thoughts.

Once the engine starts turning its easier to keep turning it then start turning it which is why it gets better after it turns. Even if the solenoid is working correctly the windings in starter could be worn causing the slow turn over. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will have the battery load tested. I understand about it being easier to keep the engine turning once it's turning but it will turn sluggishly when trying to start it over and over again (key start, off, start, off etc...) and then eventually it will turn over at a normal rate and start even though the last attempt was at a slow rate. This problem is intermittent therefore it's difficult to diagnose.
To me it sounds like a bad starter. Problem can only be starter, battery, or connections between starter and battery. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dan,

Ultimately I had the battery load tested and it was a bad cell in the
battery. That caused the intermittent starting problem.