AMD
AMD, Master technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

How do I disable my 2002 kia sedona alarm?

Category: Kia
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

amd_hcds :

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer.

amd_hcds :

Is this an aftermarket or factory alarm?

Customer:

Factory Alarm

amd_hcds :

Is your alarm going off? usually to disable the alarm you just need to unlock the driver's side with the key.

Customer:

I opened the door without using the key and the alarm went off

amd_hcds :

Try to unlock the door with the key and see if the alarm goes off

Customer:

Will the car start after I open with key?

amd_hcds :

It is supposed to if it's a factory installed alarm.

amd_hcds :

Unlocking the door with the original key will disable the alarm and the vehicle should start.

amd_hcds :

try it if the vehicle is nearby

Customer:

Car is about 15 minutes away we will try ? Can we put placed on hold while we check?

amd_hcds :

Take your time, I will be online for most of the day. When you are back replay here and I will be back to you.

amd_hcds :

I also wanted to ask you, when the alarm goes off how does it sound? Does it sound like the horn is beeping or another siren?

Customer:

sounds like a siren. We opened with key and alarm isringing

amd_hcds :

OK you have an aftermarket alarm then, Did you try to start the vehicle? Does it start?

amd_hcds :

Also does the siren sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdsuUlEP57g

Customer:

The alarm is siren and beeps. I can't access sound on this device. I did purchase vehicle directly from dealer.

amd_hcds :

You bought the vehicle new?

Customer:

yes

amd_hcds :

And you had no alarm installed?

Customer:

No it came with the alarm installed.

amd_hcds :

Hmm, Does your vehicle start when the alarm is going off?

Customer:

No the key turns but the engine wont turn over. Is there a cutoff switch?

amd_hcds :

Does the engine crank but doesn't starT? Or doesn't crank at all?

Customer:

Dash lights come on but engine does not.

amd_hcds :

Do you hear the starter turning? Or when you turn the key to start the vehicle nothing happens at all?

Customer:

nothing.

amd_hcds :

OK this is defently an after market alarm system, The factory anti-theft system first will be disabled when you unlock the door with the key and then will let the engine turn over but will not let it start. And the factory alarm will not have a siren, it will only have the horn beeping when it goes off.

amd_hcds :

Now what we can try to do is to locate a switch under the dash, it's difficult to predict the after market alarms since they are installed diffrently in each car.

Customer:

Any suggestions?

amd_hcds :

Usually there's a button underneath the driver's side dash area that disables the alarm if you press it or press and hold it

amd_hcds :

Try to look for one if nothing then call the dealership and inquire about the brand of the alarm they installed for you.

Customer:

found a button above parking brake but it isnt turning off alarm.

amd_hcds :

Does it look like a factory installed button ? Does it have any sign on it or near it? or it's just a button that's sitting there?

amd_hcds :

Also did you try to press and hold the button or just press it?

Customer:

a black button unlabelled.

amd_hcds :

Try to press and hold it and see if it shuts off the alarm, if not then contact your selling kia dealership and inquire about the problem it will be difficult for me to diagnose the problem in this format.

Customer:

thanks

amd_hcds :

You're welcome. If you are satisfied with my answer please press ACCEPT. If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're not satisfied please let me know.

AMD, Master technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist