Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

2006 kia sportage: cyl..blower motor resistor is toast...prong

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kia Spotage 6 cyl. The blower motor resistor is toast. The Resister I removed is a 3 prong, Airtex 4P 1466 resister which costs $100 or more on line. I accidentally ordered a 4 prong resister SMP RU-474 ($40) that supposedly fits my 2006 Kia Sportage. My question is can I use 3 prongs of the SMP 474 if I rewire the plug ? Is a resister a resister except for the wiring? I guessing I need to send it back and get the 4 prong but my wife really wants her AC running again.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 4 years ago.
You need the 3 prong resistor if you try to wire this up you will wind up burning up the new resistor and blower motor.If you try to use the 4 prong resistor you can also damage the heater control panel.In the meantime you can wire the blower motor direct to power with a toggle switch until you get the new resistor so she has a/c .I have a wife also and understand completely.Also you can go to the local salvage yard and get all those parts today and fix this a lot cheaper.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not surprised but it was worth a shot for a quick fix.

The smiley faces are hard to choose when you know the answer is right but don't like it! :) Thanks, I'll try the Salvage yards

Not a problem I have to give the truth unfortunately I do not want to see any further damage and expense for you .Im here if you need anything else.