Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

kia optima: gear shift lock..park to other gears..override..shifter

I have a 09 kia optima. for whatever reason the gear shift lock will not dissengage from park to other gears nor will it when it is in drive after I use the manual override button next to the shifter. Can you tell me what is wrong and how can I fix it? Is it a sensor or switch that has gone out?
Do you have break lights when stepping on the brakes ? Most common is a faulty brake light switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to check that. I am at work right now and can't go look right at this moment. If that is the case, replacing the brake light switch will correct the issue? What if I do have brake lights? What would be the other cause?
Yes correct if you do not have brake lights replacing the brake light switch will fix this issue about 35 for the part. If not the other issue is a faulty shift interlock solenoid. Sometimes these short our from liquid spilt in the console . These are what you need to check next for this issue .Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.