Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 Kia Sedona: overheated..coolant..leaking hose..car wont start

Customer Question

My 2002 Kia Sedona minivan overheated & cut out today. We added coolant/antifreeze & replaced the leaking hose but the car won't start. The code on the scan was PO 340 & said Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 1. Do I need to replace the camshaft position sensor & how difficult is that? Also, will replacing that part make the car start or is there likely to be another problem. We just had ignition coils, thermostat, gasket & spark plugs replaced yesterday.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

While a bad cam sensor can be the cause of a no-start condition, so can a jumped timing belt which would also set the code for P0340.

The cam sensor is behind the upper timing cover:
graphic

You remove the upper timing belt cover to replace the cmp sensor. Takes about 30 minutes.

I would suggest removing the timing covers and verifying that the timing is correct and if it is, then replace the sensor. If not, then it needs timing belt job

timing marks:

image

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I verify that the timing is correct?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, you have to remove the #1 spark plug, have someone turn the engine over by using a socket on the crankshaft pulley and turning clockwise while you have your finger over the #1 spark plug hole. When you feel air pushing your finger off the hole. It is at TDC(top dead center). Now look at the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets and on the crankshaft sprocket. They should line up as shown in the diagram I already provided.

The #1 spark plug is the one towards the firewall that is closest to the engine pulleys.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That sounds pretty complicated. Should I just replace the camshaft sensor first & if the car still won't start I an get more help or would that just be wasting money? Is there a particular brand I should buy or are they all pretty much the same?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Cam sensor is only $45-55, depending upon store you go to. I would go ahead and replace it to start with, and if still no-start, either I can walk you thru the process or have a shop check the timing belt for you.

All the brands are pretty much the same for the cam sensor

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know basically nothing about cars. Is changing the cam sensor something I could do? I don't want to have the car towed to the shop if I can avoid the expense.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

yes, you can do this yourself.

You will remove the 10mm bolts that hold the upper timing cover(there are 2 upper timing covers- remove the one closest to the front of the vehicle. when facing the belts it will be to your right). Once removed, remove the retaining bolts for the cam sensor, unplug it and remove. Install in reverse.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button and/or smiley face to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.