Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. 25 yrs experience

kia rio: gears stopped working..Coming off the highway..nuetral

The gears stopped working in my kia rio 2005.

Coming off the highway. I was down shifting. I went from third to nuetral and then tried to go into second, but nothing happened.

Couold it be the clutch, the transmission, or something in between?

Category: Kia
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Kia problem.

So does it seem that the transmission is stuck in neutral and you are not able to shift into any gear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Turn the engine off and shift the gearshift into one of the gears. Set the park brake and then try to start the engine. Does the car lunge forward like it is in gear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Dave, thanks for your help. I am sorry I was wrong. I am helping my little sister so I am geting information scond hand.

It is actually stuck in Third gear. It will not move out of third. Her boyfriend is an amatuer machanic and has been attempting to get it working. He has turned the car off and on. He eventually had to have it towed to his house. He was looking for the shift cables like in his car, but there are not any. At this point he decided it was too much for him.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the updated information. Is the shift lever loose, and moving freely or is it bound in the one position, just unable to move?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So the shift lever will move side to side, it will touch both seats. It will not move forward or backward/up or down. It is stuck in third. If the car is off it is the same as if it is on. If the clutch is let out while the car is on it will lurch forward.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Problem is not in the clutch if pressing the clutch pedal disengages the transmission. This transmission does not use shift cables, there is a shift rod that goes to the transmission from the shifter. The common problems would either be a failed bushing at the end of the rod, or possibly a bolt backed out so the rod is disconnected either at the shifter or the transmission. Diagram below shows layout of the shifter and shift rod.

If the shifter and shift rod pass a visual test and the linkage at the transmission is moving then the problem is inside the transmisison.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it is in the transmission is it something that can usually be fixed or the transmission has to be replaced?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If it is in the transmission, it can be repaired. It requires at least partial disassembly of the transmission, but not the expense of transmission replacement.