Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. 25 yrs experience
11042942

2003 KIA Spectra: air blows..front window defrost vents..controls

2003 KIA Spectra, air blows from the front window defrost vents only no matter what the controls are set to.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Kia problem.

The modes (vent, floor, defrost) are all controlled by an electronic actuator. The mode actuator is located on the side of the heater case and can be accessed from under the drivers side of the dash. See information below for diagnostic procedure on the actuator. If the actuator tests okay, replace the dash control panel.

graphic

1. Verify that mode actuator operates in DEF position when connecting 12 V to mode actuator terminal 3 and grounding terminal 1.

Check whether the mode actuator operates in the reverse direction, when connecting the terminal in the reverse order.

2. If not as specified, replace the mode actuator.