Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist

2005 kia sorento: missfire..cyl 5&6..coil pack still have same problem

Customer Question

2005 kia sorento,have missfire on cyl 5&6 changed plugs and coil pack still have same problem,is there a dist cap on this model that could be bad
Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

What code or codes are you getting?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure,my brother in law checked,and he told me the codes were missfire 5&6 AND 02 SENSOR BANK 2 SENSOR 1
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
A bad o2 sensor or a bad catalytic converter can cause a misfire, so at this point you should get the exaqct code on the o2 sensor and you may need to replace it. If that is not it, you need to have the converter evaluated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
CYL 5& AND 6 ARE NOT FIRING,HAVE LIFTERS TAPPING AND YOU THINK THE 02 COULD CAUSE THIS.I FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE.I COULD SEE IT NOT RUNNING RIGHT BUT TO SHUT DOWN 2 CYL,
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Are they misfiring or completely dead?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
CODES SAY MISSFIRE BUT THE WAY LIFTERS ARE TAPPING I WOULD THINK THERE DEAD,HAVE GOOD COMPRESSION ON BOTH CYL
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Other possibilities are bad injectors or a bad computer. When you pulled the plugs were they fouled with fuel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cyl 5 was fouled with fuel
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Then it is possible the computer is the problem if you have ruled out the plug and the coil. It is unusual but it does happen. If other causes are ruled out, including damaged wiring to the coil, that may be the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do the wires just run from one cyl to the other
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
The wiring runs through the harness from the coil to the computer and the computer triggers the coil.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i know the wiring does that,i was talking plug wires,and can cyl missfire trigger false reading for 02 senser codes
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
There are no plug wires, you have a coil on each plug. A misfire can cause a o2 sensor code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
theres not a coil on each plug ,there is only three coils one coil serves two plugs and plug wires go from drivers side to passenger side,coils are only located on cyl1,3,&5and plug wires serve 2,4,&6.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
not sure neal is a mechanic or someone who knows his way around a computer,not giving accurate answers.and why dont he have an ASE certification in his profile if he is indeed a shop owner and mechanic
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

actaully what you wrote is not correct.coils are on 2,4,6 and the wires run to 1,3,5

You made no mention of changing wires so,, you could easily have bad wires or some sort of mechanical problem like valve spring. I am only shooting ideas

You need to remove the wire from each of 3 and 5, hook up a plug to each, crank engine looking for spark. If you have spark on each,, then yes,, you could have mechanical problem or injector problem, and like previous expert mentioned,. all this can and will set o2 codes

have to get to root cause in order to clear out the o2 codes

At this point you have not confirmed a misfire but hear tapping. thats a bit odd with tapping and if 2 cylinders are infact missing? it will barely run like with no power but will run

You also have not stated what compression readings are. You need to take readings from the missing cylinders as well as good ones in order to know what it truly is

Again, without some more tests, i am sending the basics for you to check

here is diagram showing the cylinder layout

graphic

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your help,your advice will be helpfull im sure.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
You can still come back and lmk along the way on this post up to say 14 days. I am on/off each day so keep me in the loop. thanks