Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

Kia Sorento LX: my 2006 kia sorento wont start. Fuel pressure

my 2006 kia sorento won't start. Fuel pressure is within factory specs. New battery, spark plugs and wires. Ran computer diagnostics and found a cam shaft position sensor fault code. Can erase code and it will start eventually. Starts better in cold weather. What do you think?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 4 years ago.
Whats the exact code number stored this will help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Don't remember
Can you get the code?Any autozone,advanced auto ,aamco or meineke will scan it for free .This can be a timing issue or crank sensor issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am a mechanic and can scan it which I already have and that is how I came up with a cam position sensor fault code. I just don't remember the number and didn't right the number down before erasing the fault code. My mistake.
Ok these cam sensor codes are usually caused by timing issues was this checked.Also can you scan it again to get the code or its erased already ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have the means to check the timing. All I have is a code scan reader and data list. Yes the code is erased and it is starting now, so I won't be able to get the code yet until all it does is start cranking but won't start. This problem has been happening for a while now. Sorry I didn't write the code down, I guess I am not much help. I just didn't know what else it could be.
Ok most common is the crank we sensor . If this happens again get the code and I bet it's the crank sensor that's stored sometimes it gives the cam sensor code when it's really a crank sensor issue seen it before . These would be the next steps. Crank sensors failing on these vehicles are very common to cause your issue . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.