Neal
Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Kia Rio: I have a 2006 Kia Rio. The timing belt broke and

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kia Rio. The timing belt broke and bent two valves. We had the head rebuilt and We replaced the timing belt and all other belts. We retimed it and put air in the cvvt valve on the cam and got it in time. It runs great until it gets hot,then if you turn the motor off it will not start again until it cools off. Then it will start again.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Have you checked the fuel pressure and especially how fast it bleeds off when when the pump shuts off?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is running great until it gets hot. When you turn the key off and
try to restart it , the motor won't turn over. It acts like a car that is high in timing. We replaced the starter and battery.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

So it cranks slowly you mean? I did not get that from your first description. In that case it sounds like it might be bad battery cables, use this procedure to check them.

Have someone sit in the vehicle to be ready to crank the engine. Set the multimeter to measure voltage.

Test the positive battery cable by connecting the red lead from the multimeter to the positive battery terminal. Connect the black lead of the multimeter to the engine starter's positive terminal. Have your helper crank the engine and note the reading on the meter before the engine starts. The meter should read close to zero, and any reading of more than 0.3 volts is reason to replace the cable.

Test the negative battery cable by using the same procedure as above for the positive cable, but this time you will have the red lead of the multimeter touching the metal housing of the starter motor, and the black lead of the multimeter connected to the negative battery terminal. Again you should see a reading of 0.3 volts or less to be confident that your cable is good.

Avoid using a multimeter or ohmmeter to directly measure the resistance in the battery cable. Automotive quality ohmmeters do not have the required sensitivity to directly measure the very small resistance differences in battery cables that make a very big difference in performance.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We put a heavy duty jump box on it when it was hot and it still would not start
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
I would still check the cables to be sure I have seen this before. I am not sayting it is definately the problem but it should be checked.