Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

2006 kia spectra: is making this whining noise when I

Customer Question

My 2006 kia spectra is making this whining noise when I back up, what could this be what should it cost to fix the issue in MO?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
Hi there!
Does the noise go away if you step on the brakes but keep moving?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think so, and no noise going forward, although sitting at the stop light yesterday i could really hear the noise, but once i was moving again i did not hear it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
I see, so it doesn't have to be moving for the noise to happen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before yesterday i had never heard it when idling, had several idling stops but only heard it this one time, noise is mostly when backing and occasionally when making a left turn
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I think it may be the warning tabs on the brake pads.
I would start by having the brakes checked, of course have it test driven locally so they can hear it.
Doesn't make sense that you heard it when stopped, but I still think this is the place to check first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i took so long to get back to you, i just had the car repaired and it was the back brakes and rotors $283.00 later! thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome! Sorry for the cost of course!