Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

2005 KIA Sorento: Stalls when driving and wont start back up.

Customer Question

I'm having huge issues with my 2005 KIA Sorento. Stalls when driving and won't start back up. After sitting for a while it will sometimes start back up. One dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong because they couldn't replicate the problem. It has gotten progressively worse. Now I'm looking to have the vehicle towed somewhere and am wondering what to tell the mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question. I have some questions: when this happens, can it bee at any speed? doe it feel like bogging down till it stalls or shutoff like key turned off? has or is the check engine light coming on? what does one do to get restarted, keep cranking, holding gas pedal to floor? anything you can add detail wise?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It can happen at any speed, even on the highway. sometimes there is a bit of a surge. The check engine light does come on. I just went outside and let it run for a bit at idle and low RPM. After a few minutes it stalled and then restarted with a bit of difficulty, then after another minute or two it died again. This time it won't restart. ONce it gets to the point where it won't restart there is nothing that I can do to make it start.
Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
check engine light at anytime been on
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
sorry, I see ti does, What troubkle code did the shop get when scanned
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The shop didn't get a trouble code. It was there for 5 days and they failed to diagnose it. The check engine light was not on when they had it 1 week ago. It is permanently on now.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the clue here is the check engine light. If you only had a way to get to loacl parts store, they would scan fro free and tell you what it points to. Without bogging down like running out of gas/bad fuel pump, You then would have something that is affected by engine heat then failing. My thought on this is the crank sensor. Its fairly common for them to fail and especially as you describe. It gets hot, engine shuts off, cools down then it starts until one day, it goes out even more and then very hard to start or not start at all. You can try spraying carb cleaner int he throttle body and cranking to see if it starts, If so? then fuel pump more likey, if it does not try? then I lean to crank sensor but without that code and on scanner, same as shop told you, hard to diagnose so i can only make suggestions on what we see more often
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. that meshes up with what I've seen other places on the internet. Hopefully that will help to steer the next mechanic to the solution.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
LMk as the post remains open for at least next 14 days. thanks