Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. 25 yrs experience
11042942

2001 kia sportage: knock sensor..very loud knocking sound..gas peddle

2001 kia sportage. Just replaced knock sensor on kia. Now has very loud knocking sound from engine and gets louder when you press gas peddle. What is wrong and how fix. what is estimated cost for this repair?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Kia problem.

A loud knocking in the engine is due to a mechanical failure inside the engine. The engine will need to be torn down for an inspection of the affected parts. Then repairs will need to be done. This is often serious. This type of repair can range from $600-2000.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What mechanical failure? Car drives but has loud knocking noise. What would cause noise? Is engine fixing to fail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the car still drives. Is engine fixing to fail? What is best guess of mechanical failure?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If the noise is a light tapping then it is most likely from the top of the engine in the valvetrain.

If the noise is a loud knocking then this is most likely from the bottom end of the engine, in the crankshaft and bearings. This would indicate that the engine is failing and will most certainly get worse if you continue to drive it.