George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

2007 Kia: timing mark diagram..Rondo with the 2.7L motor

Customer Question

I need a timing mark diagram for a 2007 Kia Rondo with the 2.7L motor. Can you please help me?
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The timing procedure is below and it contains the alignment diagram towards the bottom of the procedure. Look this over and let me know what I can do to help you

Click here for procedure

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to align the timing marks on the camshaft sprokets to the timing marks on the timing chain itself as well when I installed the cams before the valve covers. I guess what I am asking is will the position of those marks change when setting the timing marks for the timing belt. It says to align the marks on the sprokets to the marks on the valve covers and of course I will want my crankshaft at TDC.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Yes the cams will be rotated slightly from where the chain lined up. Once you align the cams with the chain and install them to the cylinder head you then move to the other end and place the belt sprockets on and turn the cams to the mark on the belt end with the crank on TDC. Install the belt and turn through two revolutions of the crank to recheck the mark position and if they all come back exactly to their marks (not the chain end) then you can button it up and start the engine.

let me know what I can do to help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The left sproket is at about a 11:00 position and the right sproket appears to be at about the 1:00 position and the crank is at it's TDC mark with the timing belt cover. Does this sound about right?

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

That does sound right, they are splayed out when they are aligned correctly.

Do you see the diagram with the marks in the procedure? You have to be exact, one tooth off will not work.

I draw a line with a paint pen on the cam sprocket and the belt so I can align it with the mark on the rear timing cover as I check on the crank sprocket alignment.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did the old shade tree method to find TDC. I inserted a long screwdriver into the plug hole and turned the crankshaft bolt until the screwdriver cam up to it's highest point.LOL learned that from ole grandpa. Anyways, yes I do see the marks. Is it possible to have the crankshaft timing mark aligned correctly but yet be on the BDC or is that mark always for TDC to cylinder number 1?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

As long as you have the crank on its mark the #1 piston will be at the top of its stroke. When you combine that with placing the cans on their marks then the #1 is at the top on the compression stroke and the engine is in time.

Let me know what I can do to help

thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then I don't think timing is the issue and I should stop second guessing myself. I am the guy that is not afraid to ask for help. I just needed to be sure. I use Chilton Manuals alot and they are seldom wrong in their procedures. Thanks for working with me,
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Glad to help and please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This the first 2.7L motor I have ever worked on and it has been a bumpy ride. After having the right timing belt marks correct. I remembered that I needed to align the yellow marks on the camshaft timing chain to the camshaft sproket timing marks before installing the valve covers. Now that was fixed and just noticed that my mark on the the timing belt had moved on the left head. now all I have to do is realign the timing belt marks even after aligning the camshaft timing marks. Do you get where my concern came in?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Did you remove the cams from the head and disturb the chains?

The idea is that you install the chains to the cams, lay the cams in the heads and torque the cam caps then install the belt as the cam relation will not change from there.

I need to know if you removed the cams from the heads and if you removed the chains from the sprockets or let the sprockets turn in the chains?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had to remove the cams from the heads and tried to put them back in but the chain slipped on the left side so i had to go back in and realign the marks on the chain to the marks on the cams themselves. I put the valve covers back on and noticed that one of my marks to install the timing belt was wrong on the left camshaft sproket. So I need to realign the mark again and everything should be okay again. I just needed to make sure that even though the camshaft timing marks are correctly set, I now have to align the three timing belt marks and everything else should be ok

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, as long as you are sure the chains are on their marks go ahead and turn the cam sprocket so it is on its mark when the other cam and the crank are on their marks then you will be good.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After realigning the marks in regards XXXXX XXXXX chain and cams, My friend helping me installed the timing belt without turning the left side cam sproket to meet the mark on the left valve cover. It caused me alot of havoc but I think I got it figured out.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

I think you do also, let me know if you have further questions

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Trying to start this car with that incorrect timing caused me alot of grief and money. I tried to explain to my friend that the marks on the chain and the marks on the cams had to be lined up first to ensure the correct time that the lobes hit the valves. That is all those marks are for and then you must align the three timing belt marks which for some reason only meant that the left side needed to be realigned. Now I think the car hasa good chance of starting. This is the first dual overhead cam motor that I have done a cylinder head job on so this is a learning process for me as well. I am the guy my friends and family turn to to keep all of their vehicles on the road. It's a full time job in itself, let me tell ya.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Good, I think you understand what needs to be done now, I need to go to bed so if you have further questions please post them and I will address them in the morning, if not I thank you and ask that you put "George H" in the first line of your future questions if you want me too assist you.

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am directing this question to George H. apparently at this point I am dealing with a misfire in cylinder no.1 and cylinder no.3 which to my knowledge those cylinders are in the back of the motor if you are standing in front of the car. I might wanna remind you that I am working on a 2007 Kia Rondo with a 2.7L. The car runs great now until it begins to warm up and then my scan tool tells me that I have those 2 misfires. I replaced both plugs again and the coils and still my scan tool tells me that those 2 misfires are still present. I have a buddy that is a master mechanic and he seems to believe that the "valve lash" needs to be adjusted. The trouble is, I have never done this procedure before and I need a little help. Could this be the issue that is causing my misfires? And do I tighten or loosen the bearing caps? Right now they are simply torqued down to specs provided to me by Chilton's On line Library. Please help me with this or give me your feedback as to what might be going on. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I wanted to follow up with George because I still need help but with a different issue that has come up while doing what he suggested.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I did not see your question before this,

If the valves were damaged you need to do a compression test and then a cylinder leakage test to determine the condition of those two cylinders compared to the others. This is the first step before you go looking for a spark or fuel issue here.

Let me know your compression readings on the entire engine so we can get to the bottom of this

Thank you