Neal
Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2005 kia sedona: you change a water pump..step instructions

Customer Question

how do you change a water pump on a 2005 kia sedona xl i need step by step instructions
Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Here is the procedure for the timing belt and the water pump. The timing belt procedure is first. Sorry for the delay but it takes a while to put this together.

graphicgraphic
REMOVAL
1. Remove the engine cover.
2. Remove the drive belt.
graphic

3. Remove the idler pulley, crankshaft pulley, power steering pulley and tensioner pulley.
graphic

4. Remove the upper and lower timing belt cover.
5. Support the engine with garage jack or special tool, and then remove the engine mounting insulator.

CAUTION: Take care not to deform the engine oil pan.
graphic

6. Remove the auto tensioner.

NOTE: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing mark to get the No. 1 cylinder's piston be in TDC position (compression stroke).
At this time, the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head cover should coincide with each other.
graphic

7. Remove the timing belt.

NOTE: When re-using timing belt, make sure of marking the rotating direction on the belt so as to install correctly.

INSPECTION
1. Check the belt carefully and if any damage is found, exchange it with a new one.
graphic

1. Vulcanization of the rubber backside. The backside is glossy and non-elastic so that, even if a finger nail is forced into it, no mark is produced.
graphic

2. Crack on the rubber belt surface.
graphic

3. Abnormal wearing of side face of belt.

CAUTION: Belts in good condition seem to be cut by a sharp knife.
graphic

4. Abnormal tooth wearing

Initial stage
Wearing of side face of load exerting tooth (Fabric puff up, rubber material peel off with color changing to white and fabric become uneven and rough).

Last stage
Fabric wearing of side face of load exerting tooth occurs and rubber is exposed (Length between teeth decrease.).

5. Missing tooth.
graphic

2. If any abnormal noise or difficulty in rotating the pulley by hand is noticed, replace the timing belt tensioner and idler pulley.

INSTALLATION
METHOD OF INSTALLING TIMING BELT AND AUTO TENSIONER
graphic

1. Install the idler pulley to the engine support lower bracket.
graphic

2. Install the tensioner arm, shaft and plain washer to the cylinder block.
graphic
graphic

3. Install the crankshaft sprocket.

NOTE: Confirm if timing marks coincide with.

CAUTION: Align the spacer with a pin, and assemble it exerting even force not to deform the crankshaft sensing blade.
graphic

4. Install the camshaft sprocket. Align it like initial state.

CAUTION: When installing camshaft sprocket, tighten the bolt holding hexagonal part of camshaft to prevent it from turning.
graphic

5. Install the auto tensioner to the oil pump case.

CAUTION: At this time the auto tensioner's set pin should be assembled completely.
graphic

6. Align the timing marks of each sprocket and install the timing belt, maintaining the proper belt tension between each shaft in this order.
Crankshaft sprocket -> Idler pulley -> Left bank exhaust camshaft sprocket -> Left bank intake camshaft sprocket -> Water pump pulley -> Right bank intake camshaft sprocket -> Right bank exhaust camshaft sprocket -> Tensioner pulley.

CAUTION:
^ As a result of this, position of No.1 cylinder comes to compression TDC.
^ As each camshaft sprocket tends to rotate by itself, pay attention not to injure fingers or other bodily part. Especially be careful with the right bank.
^ In case the right bank camshaft sprocket rotates excessively, be cautious not to rotate more than the initial stable position. Always align timing mark of rotating sprocket by turning it reversely. In this case, pay attention not to rotate it reversely from the initial position. (if, with one sprocket fixed at No. 1 compression TDC position, the other sprocket is rotated one revolution clockwise or counter clockwise, then the intake and exhaust valve might interfere each other.)

7. After installing the timing belt, exert the reverse-directed force to the right bank exhaust camshaft sprocket to give tension on the belt. Holding this state, recheck if each timing mark is correctly positioned.
graphic

8. With tensioner pulley slightly pushing the belt down, tighten the center bolts lightly.
9. Pull out the auto tensioner set pin.

HOW TO ADJUST TIMING BELT TENSION
1. Tension setting (While auto tensioner is not operating
: And set pin being kept installed.).

graphic

1. After rotating crankshaft 1/4 revolution reversely, rotate it clockwise to position No. 1 cylinder at TDC.
Then, loosen the center bolt and give the belt 50 kg-cm of tension with tensioner pulley socket (Two pins are attached) and torque wrench. While maintaining this state, tighten the center bolt to the standard torque.
graphic

2. Pull out the auto tensioner fixing pin.
graphic

2. How to check tension (While auto tensioner is operating : and fixing pin being uninstalled.)
1. After rotating crankshaft 2 revolutions clockwise to position No. 1 cylinder at TDC, wait for about 5 minutes, and measure the amount of protruding of the auto tensioner rod.

CAUTION: This is "leak down" time for the auto tensioner rod to protrude 1 mm when tension caused by rotation of the crankshaft has changed.

2. Check if the amount of rod protruding is in the range of 3.8 - 4.5 mm.
3. Recheck if each sprocket is within the specified range.

NOTE: If it is not within the specified range, repeat from procedure 6 as service procedure of timing belt and auto tensioner installation method.

Water pump installaton.

graphic

INSTALLATION
1. Clean the gasket mating surface of the water pump body and cylinder block.
2. After installing new O-ring in the groove at front of the water pipe, soak it with water. At this time, do not soak it with oil or grease.
graphic

3. After installing a new water pump gasket and water pump assembly, tighten it to the specified torque.
4. Install the timing belt tensioner and timing belt. After adjusting the timing belt tension, install the timing belt cover.
5. After installing the water pump pulley and driving belt, adjust the belt tension.
6. Refill it with cooling water.
7. Check the leakage by running the engine.

Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for the info.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!!