Neal
Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2006 Kia Rio: stalled..diagnostic..cam shaft or crank shaft sensors

Customer Question

2006 Kia Rio, just stalled for no reason. A mechanic hooked it up to the elctronic diagnostic because the engine light was going on. The mechanic said it was the cam shaft or crank shaft sensors. I replaced the cam shaft sensor first, that didn't work but it still started. I replaced the crank shaft sensor and now it won't start at all. Any ideas. Also replaced the air filter.

Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible. If I cannot help I will opt out and let another expert assist you.

I would try another crank sensor, It is not unusual to get a new one that is bad and I would try another before doing anythin else. Also check the connector and wiring to make sure there are no problems.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already checked the connector and wiring. Could there be any other reason for the car to stall (and now not start) other than the cam and craft sensors? I know that's what the diagnostic said, but I can't believe the first new craft sensor I purchased would be bad and hate to purchase another one at $50 a pop if that's not the issue.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I have seen them be bad right out of the box, you can return it and exchange it for a new one.

If you can get me the codes, I can tell you more.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What codes are you referring to? Is there a code on the part or the box...
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry the codes from the diagnostic. When the mechanic did the diagnostic he should have gotten codes which pointed him to the sensors, but there are several codes it could have been.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We do not have that code. Should I put the old crank sensor back in and see if it starts? That way we will know its the crank sensor and not something else.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Yes if you still have it, that would be a good test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to confirm before I reinstall the old crank sensor. All you do is put the sensor and bolt in and check the wires to make sure they are clean. Is there something that I could have done wrong or is there are other adjustments that you would have to make. It seems so simple, I can't understand why it won't work. Also, are you sure that this was what would have caused the original problem even though that is what the diagnostic said. Car only has 35,000 miles on it.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Yes, just put it in and bolt it in place. As long as it is the right sensor it is hard or impossible to get it in wrong.