PAULKIATECH
PAULKIATECH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealership ASE Certified KIA Certified technician at KIA-Subaru Dealer
61038546

2000 KIA: sport..check engine light..crank..it will smooth out

What causes 2000 KIA sport age, start to skip and rpm drop to 0 and the exhaust pipe turns cherry red from the engine to the muffler and the check engine light blinks.let it set for awhile and crank it up and it will smooth out
Category: Kia
Expert:  PAULKIATECH replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a KIA dealership technician. Lets start at the begining. What codes is the vehicle setting? ?Judging from the fact that the light is flashing im sure one of them is a misfire code. Let me know the codes and we can go from there.

Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to get them to you tomorrow
Talk to you then.

Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i get back with you
Just post back on this answer tomorow. Do no answer back after my reply tonight until you get the codes and answer tomorow and it will keep the question open.

Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Codes p0301,p0300 and p0304
P0300 is a code for a multiple cylinder misifire
P0301 is a misfire on cylinder one
P0304 is a misfire on cylinder four

This explains why your vehicle is running rough and why your exhaust is heating up, This can also cause your catalytic covnerter to go bad. What happens is the gasoline does not get burned in the cylinder and it gets into the exhaust pipe causing it to get hot and causing the catalytic converter to possibly melt. Pretty much whats happening is your not getting spark at the spark plugs. I would start by pulling the spark plugs out and inspecting them and then doing a visual inspection of the ignition coils and ignition wires. If that all looks good you have to use an ohm meter to check the resistance of the coils to see if they are good.
Resistance of the primary coil should measure between .45 and .55 ohms and the secondary should measure at 13 to 15 kilo ohms. If they are out of spec then they need to be replaced.
Also a quick way of checking the ignition wires to see if they are arcing is to spray them with water out of a squirt bottle and see if the misfire gets worse and see if you can see the spark arcing between the wires. Also in case you have had a tuneup done recently and this issue just started see if the ignition wires were installed backwards between cylinder 1 and 4.

Check on these things and we will go from there.

Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do
Talk to you then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took number 1 spark plug out and it was black and dry on the end
Ok thats a good start. Did you get a chance to perform any of the other tests I mentioned? We need to narrow this down.

Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What type plug do yo recconend for it. They had NGK BKRSE plugs in it
NGK plugs.

Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rain me out today will put plugs in tomorrow
talk to you tomorow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just put 4 new plugs in. Still have skip, Getting codes p0904, p0300. p0302 and p0604
604 pd Reads PCM RAMDON ACCESS MEM (RAM) ERROR
P0604 is an error with the ecm itself. I have never seen code p0904 on a KIA so i think either you mistyped the code or misread it. For the misfire issues did you check the ignition wires like i suggested or the resistance on the coils like i suggested in my previous answer?
PAULKIATECH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Dealership ASE Certified KIA Certified technician at KIA-Subaru Dealer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On a digital multi meter where do you put the test leads on the coil and to check plug wires
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!