Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master

2005 kia sportage: blows..power door one..door wiring, etc.

my 2005 kia sportage immediately blows a fuse for the power door locks when a new one is installed.  I assume there is a direct short somewhere.  Is this short common in a certain area, like the switch itself or door wiring, etc.?  Is there a reasonable way to find this short?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 4 years ago.
Most common is a faulty door lock actuator is shorted out.This is what needs to be checked to fix this issue .These short out and that causes the fuse to blow.This is the next step .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I disconnected all lock actuators on all doors and rear hatch but still blows fuse. Then I removed the cmi control box and fuse does not blow but the box tests OK
It has to be in that box if it does not blow when disconnected.Did you physically check the printed circuit board in the box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only thing I can check is that there is no continuity between terminal 17 & 18 and between 17 & 19 with power removed. If the fuse blows when this unit is pluged in I thought it would show continuity at these terminals with no power. Also this circuit board is clean no burns looks like new.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The unit I meant to say is the ICM relay box.
Ok if you remove the door lock relay does the fuse blow ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
according to the icm relay box is the door lock relay. I took this icm box out and the fuse does not blow. but the locks dont work either with this box disconnected. I tested the box according to alldatas instructions and the box tested OK Is there another door lock relay somewhere
Nope it has to be that unit . You can get one from a salvage yard for about 40 dollars . I would start here next .