Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2001 kia spectra: wont start..even turn..lights turn on, any ideas

my 2001 kia spectra won't start or even turn over
the battery is good, lights turn on, any ideas
Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Does it even click?

Is the shifter in park?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it doesn't click and the shifter is in park
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
Can you check the starter to make sure it is getting power, There should always be power to the large connector and there should be power to the small connector when the key is turned. This will confirm or rule out the starter as the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I banged on the shifter to make sure it was fully in park and sure enough the car started, but when I try to shift to any gear it is really stiff and hard to get fully into place. Any ideas what that could be?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like there is a problem in the shifter and that is why it was not starting. It could be broken or something could be down in there jamming it up.