George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

Kia Rio: I have a 2005 Kia Rio that is reporting a P0325 code.

I have a 2005 Kia Rio that is reporting a P0325 code. I've replaced the knock sensor and reset the codes. After driving about 10 miles, the check engine light comes back on and P0325 code is reported again. What else should I try?
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The wire to the knock sensor could be open or the connector to the sensor. It also could be that the wire is shorted to ground.

The procedure to troubleshoot this code is below, it would be helpful if you had a scantool that would allow you to see the knock sensor signal. You could see if there is any activity on the signal and that would check the wire. Otherwise you need to check the integrity of the wire and the connections with a volt/ohmeter

Click here for procedure

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a scan tool from OBDCOM, but it is not reporting the KS signal level. There are three wires on the wiring harness at the KS plug - red, black and brown. Brown goes to shield (ground), red is 0 ohms to ground, black is 2.54V with ignition on and KS unplugged. Is this correct?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The Brown? (should be blue) and Red should both be ground and the Black is the signal from the sensor.

The computer sends the signal (in your case 2.54 volts) and the knock sensor modifies the signal as it produces voltage. The 2.54 volts from the computer is how the computer checks the integrity of the wire.

It sounds like you have everything present, I would check the shield and the red wires to ground while applying voltage through a resistor to be sure it has real ground present, If you use a 100K resistor and put battery voltage to the wire through the resistor and measure on the wire side of the resistor you should not see voltage as it should all drop across the resistor.

You really need a scantool that shows the Knock signal, if the signal is present then you either have a knock (you may not hear/feel it) or you have a failed computer.

There are no TSBs for the knock sensor other than a warning to install with a torque wrench to 15 - 18 ft lbs or risk damage to the sensor.

I know this is hard to chase without a scanner and it is just as hard to do with one sometimes. Check the ground on the red and shield wires and let me know if those come back good. If you have not tightened the connection yet try that also.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wiring seems okay. I will work with OBDCOM to maybe get a software update. Should any ASE certified shop be equipped to identify root cause? This is an old car and I am concerned about spending unecessary dollars on trial and error troubleshooting.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Yes a shop should be able to find the cause in less than an hours labor.

If you want to see if you can get a scanner that can see it I will be happy to provide what help I can, just let me know.