fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician

2012 KIA optima EX: FOB..owners manual..the Smart Key battery dies

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2012 KIA optima EX and it uses the "smart key" FOB. The door can be opened manually if the FOB battery dies but I do not find anywhere in the owners manual instructions on how to start the car if the Smart Key battery dies. HELP!!!
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 4 years ago.

fix it man :

Hello JACUSTOMER, did something happen to the vehicle or are you just wondering what needs to be done if there is a problem?

Nothing happened to the vehicle (not yet anyway). I was just wondering what the procedures were for KIA emergency starts when the smart key fob dies. The key that is contained within the smart key fob ONLY opens the door---there is no ignition switch to place the key since it is a push button start.

fix it man :

Okay. Unfortunately they do not make a back up to get the vehicle started just to get it opened. You just need to pay close attention to the warning message that tells you when the battery is low.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I Found out that the 2012 Kia Optima DOES have a procedure for starting the car when the smart key fob battery dies. You open the GLOVE BOX and inside on the left is a small black slot when you insert the dead key fob and the system will read the codes and allow the vehicle to start(you may have to hold down the start button 10 seconds for it to read the fob and start the engine).
I have not seen this in their new vehicles, Where did you here this from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The above link is from a Kia car dealer.
The only error is that the salesman states that the fob will recharge when inserted into to emergency start slot in the gove box. It will not the battery inside the key fob is a button battery CR2032 type. Not rechargable.
It may not be rechargable but it can send a few volts into it just to get the vehicle started.