Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

Kia Sorento EX: the heater on my kia sorento 2005 blows cold

Customer Question

the heater on my kia sorento 2005 blows cold air
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question. Step one is to be sure the coolant is not at all low. this can prevent the heat, then if full, you have to grab the heater hoses under the hood at firewall when fully warm engine to see if both are very warm to hot. if so and still cold air? then you have a control problem like the blend door actuator up under dash on heater case. the electric actuators can fail and prevent blend door movement

Customer:

ok let me try that real quick, thanks

Tracer :

ok

Customer:

The car is at operating temperature and the hoses are warm but not hot.

Customer:

I can grab the hoses and i know from previous experience that I could not do that with my older cars

Customer:

It should be hot right?

Tracer :

Well, warm you should have a little heat not ice cold in most cases but not all. Its possible you have a weak thermostat keeping it from getting up to good hot temp and through heater hoses

Customer:

So we should probably start with the thermostat, then go to the actuator? Are there any relays that may pertain to this?

Customer:

I used to pull the thermostats in all my old cars and they still had heat but thing just pours out real cold air.

Tracer :

no, no fuses or relays. the actuator on the left side of the case up under passenger side is module controlled and we surely dont want to go that direction right now. Start with basics. T stat is first especially in 7 yr old vehicle. You are correct that some models will produce heat with stat out but.. some of the more complex like todays cars can actually stop doing so. Real cold air may not be the stat thus why I have to only give suggestions. t stat, then actuator. Kind of doubt blocked heater core

Customer:

So a heating module is seperate or part of the main computer

Tracer :

The unit on the dash is a computer per say that controls all climate controls. rare for one to fail and just stop blend door

Customer:

So your saying if the tstat doesnt do it then look at heater core second

Customer:

Is there a way to see if the door is opening without taking the whole dash apart?

Tracer :

no, I kind of lean away from heater core as both hoses near same temp meaning coolant should be flowing through. I was saying the t stat is easier place to start and second would most likely be the blend door actuator

Customer:

ok on the second question I asked about seeing door open or closed?

Customer:

Hello?

Tracer :

i am here, phone rang

Customer:

ok I was just wondering if it's possible to see whether the door is opening or not? How hard to get to this thing?

Tracer :

Kia is very difficult to locate repair info on my end. I can only say the actuator is a plastic motor on the hvac case on left side of case up under dash as has about 5 wires to it. you have to remove it and you should be able to work the door with something poked into the spot actuator goes to to see if door moves

Customer:

So if I can remove that and open the door it should be hot air, correct?

Tracer :

best i have is this picture. Coming next

Tracer :

bottom left picture you will see the air mix actuator and an arrow to the plug so idea of location. book time is about .3 hours to change so easy to change

Customer:

ok well that is good news then... ok what about if I open the door should be hot air, right?

Tracer :

yes, you should be able to move it manual and control hot to cold. Another thought is to remove actuator and leave plugged and and work controls to see if it moves or not

Customer:

If it's not then looking at heater core, i would presume.

Customer:

Yeah thats good idea

Tracer :

yes,, but agian with some temp on both heater hoses one should? be able to get at least very weak heat, not ice cold air. thus why kind of shying away from bad core

Customer:

So here is where I am. 1) t-stat. Still not working....2) take actuator off see if moving and check for hot air...actuator fine or no hot air, then 3) heater core, sound Good?

Customer:

That's all there is right? Those three things?

Tracer :

1= t sat 2= actuator 3= core 4= control module 5=?? wiring but had to mention :). I guess cant rule out bad blend door within the heater case. It can happen but rare

Customer:

Ok well that gives me an idea where to start at least. Control Module is the PC, right?

Tracer :

no, not eh vehicle computer. the dash part, the part you control the temp and vent and ac etc.. IT is a micro processor called the "control module" its the brain for the climate control

Customer:

ok and do you have a picture where that is located? That would be expensive there, right?

Tracer :

same picture i sent. its marked Ac control panel./ yes,, rather pricey

Tracer :

With ATC972503E660$733.88

LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Control Assembly
Replace
Dash Control UnitB0.00.5

Customer:

Ok well I will start tomorrow and thanks for the info.. Really helps.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. I will be on/off all day so lmk . thanks