Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist

2002 kia spectra: heater/ac..ac blower..blower motor and the resistor

I have a 2002 kia spectra and the heater/AC blower does not come on. I changed the blower motor and the resistor and it still doesn't come on. Could it be the switch and if so how can i tell? What else could it be?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

do you happen to have a testlight?

Customer:

yes

Tracer :

Have you checked for power on the red/white wire at blower with key on?

Customer:

does the switch on the dash need to be on?

Tracer :

NO,,Just key on to run

Customer:

it lit up for a second and then nothing

Tracer :

odd. the way it works is: you turn on ignition switch, this activates the blower relay. Once blowe relay contacts close, it send power to blower and then power is always to blow with key on as the speeds are controlled by grounds so.. you have one of 2 problems. Either a bad or loose blower fuse int he under hood fuse box, 30 amp fuse OR you have a bad blower relay. No matter what, you have to have power on that wire at all times with key on. Possible wiring problem between ignition switch,relay and blower but kind of doubt it. here is pic of under hood box showing blower relay and blower fuse location. having hard time sending fuse box picture so will do as soon as the system allows me

Customer:

when it went out it would come back on for a while then turn off again. It did that for awhile and hasn't come back on since.

Customer:

is there a way to tell if the relay is good?

Tracer :

what? the power or blower. i am confused

Customer:

The blower

Tracer :

Tracer :

y to tel other than try swapping with another relay from box that looks the same or buy one. Sure sounds like relay trying to lock in and is not. Its not a switch problem as rare to never seen a switch fail on ALL speeds at one time. here is diagram

Full Size Image

Tracer :

if when blower NOT working and.. you do NOT have power on the red/wht wire? it is most likely relay knowing the blower works on/off so fuse is ok but.. be sure it fits tight and not loose

Customer:

I swapped the relay and still nothing i might have to have someone look at it.

Tracer :

Are you losing power on the red.wht wire when blower is inop

Customer:

no power any time

Tracer :

I have given the only info I can. the relay controls power on that wire. You said blower worked a couple times so fuse has to be good but.. you have not told me if you have removed the blower fuse ,wiggled it and made sure fitting tight. You swapped relay so unsure about that as the circuit is rather simple to relay to blower. Its nothing after blower as the red/wht wire has to have power all the time

Tracer :

remove the blower relay. tell me if there is a small picture on the side of it showing the internal diagram

Customer:

there is a diagram on the top

Tracer :

very hard to explain but,, can you make read of it showing a small pic of a small lever or ram that connects 2 contatcs. this will be opposite of what may look like a small coil. If you can identify which 2 conatct look like they connect and send power to blower. match up to terminals and jump the terminals in fuse box with relay out with paperclip or similar. This bypasses the relay and send 12 volts to blower

Tracer :

it should look close to the picture of relay in wiring diagram I sent

Customer:

I put it between the two i thought and it blew the fuse

Tracer :

Ok sorry, i told you hard to explain. must be the 30 amp blower fuse. Anyway,, the safe was i suppose is to get a piece of wire and run from battery POS to the blower red/wht wire right at blower so cut the insulation back on the wire and twist the test wire to it. this will bypass the relay, blower should work just fine and reconfirming something with relay circuit

Customer:

I don't have a wire long enough but i will try that. i appreciate your help thanks

Customer:

.32

Tracer :

best i could do at this point. not being there is tricky at best : thanks

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.