George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

How do I replace the antenna on my 2002 KIA Optima?

Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If it is just the mast that has broken (sounds like the motor is fine) then remove the nut on top of the rubber grommet and have a helper turn on the radio while you tug on the antenna to unwind the mast and tape from the motor cavity. Note the direction of the teeth on the tape and compare the end of the tape to the end of the new tape/mast assembly. If the ends match place the tape in the tube pressing gently with the teeth pointing the same direction as the old tape and have your helper turn the radio off. Guide the tape and mast into the tube as the motor pulls. It may take a couple of cycles to get it all the way down. Install the top nut and you are finished.

Let me know if the ends of the tape do not match

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rubber grommet covers the whole nut or bolt. Or in other words, I don't see this bolt or nut that I am supposed to remove and I can't get the rubber grommet off. The rubber grommet is attached not just on the outside of the car, but continues on down on the other side inside the trunk.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The grommet is below the nut and is not removed.

You do not remove the motor or tube just the antenna mast and tape that is attached to it.

Here is a link to a video showing the procedure, it is not an Optima but it is the same procedure

Click here for link

Let me know if you can find the nut

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I watched the link on youtube that you sent to me and that did not help. I get what you are showing me, but once again, there is not visible nut or bolt on my car on the exterior, nor can I remove the rubber grommet. So I am not sure what is there exactly nor what is intact.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

You may be missing the nut? Is the mast there? You do NOT remove the rubber grommet in any case.

The nut is a hex with 12mm flats that is chrome.

Do you still have a mast in the tube?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It wasn't helpful, I need another answer. The video feed, didn't show much just a general idea.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

I don't know what I can do unless you can take a picture of what you are seeing.

I will ask again, Is the mast in the antenna tube or is it missing? This may be why you cant find the nut it is gone.

Let me know so I can help you

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the mast is not there. also i purchased a replacement mast and it has a nut with it, but i dont think the nut is compatible with the old motor that is in the kia.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

That may be the problem then, the nut is not there for you to find.

The mast you got is from KIA?

Does it have a nylon tape attached to it?

Does the antenna in your car say KIA on it?

Maybe someone has tried to install another antenna assembly?

Let me know what you are seeing so I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In answer to your questions, no the mast I purchased is not from Kia, I got it at Auto Zone and perhaps it will not work, yes it does have a nylon tape attached to it. The antenna in my car does say Kia on it.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Get a mast from KIA and if it does not have the nut with it get one of those also. You should be able to see the threads on the tube that the nut screws onto if your nut is missing. The mast at KIA is about $12 last time I checked and you can order online if necessary.

Once you have the mast and tape try putting the tape in with the teeth facing forward, if it feels like it won't pull it in you may have part of the tape stuck inside. Remove the side cover of the motor assembly and remove any broken tape. Be careful when you open the assembly, the parts can fall out of alignment.

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech