George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

Kia Spectra EX my 2007 kia spectra blower motor wont work.

my 2007 kia spectra blower motor won't work. i took the blower motor out and tested it and it is fine. I have checked the fuses and they are fine also. I'm wondering if there is a relay or something i am missing? I can't imagine the switch being bad already.
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The blower motor resistor mounted in the bottom of the blower case next to the motor is the usual problem. If you have a 12 volt testlight I will help you test to be sure.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so i have to take the motor out again? and the resistor is up in the case the motor mounts in?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

NO the resistor is next to the motor, just follow the wiring from the motor to the resistor and remove the screws that hold it in the case but if you want to be sure it is the resistor I can help you test. I am guessing you put power directly to the motor and it ran?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yeah i put power directly to it and it ran. ok i'll see if i can get the resistor out.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can't find my test light so i'll have to go buy one at the store. is there any other way to test this resistor?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

You can use a heavy jumper from the red/black wire to the black wire at the resistor(really a transistor) and see if your blower runs on high speed. Careful the jumper carries the full blower current so it will get hot.

Let me know if that works

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i ran a jumper and it sparked and the jumper got real hot but the motor didn't turn on

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

It may be a stuck blower or the jumper is too small. This has to carry 30 amps at startup so is there anything stuck in the blower like the cabin air filter?

If the blower is not free to turn then it will draw maximum current burning the transistor and then nothing runs.

Pull the filter out from behind the glove box and turn the blower fan. Let me know if it is free but I am sure you need to replace the transistor.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i'm assuming my jumper was too small. it was a 16 gauge audio wire. the motor is free to turn. i do need a new in cabin filter i noticed. it is dirty and changing shape like someone punched it. so u think i would be smart to buy a new resistor?

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Yes 16 gauge will do 10 amps max

I do think you need to replace the filter and the resistor/transistor. Be sure the fan turns freely

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech