Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Skimmed..the brake disks to heat up more on braking than normal

I have a 1 year old car, it has 19 500km on the clock. Dealer just skimmed brake disks on first service. In my opinion this is not a good action on a new car and can cause the brake disks to heat up more on braking than normal. Car is auto and diesel
Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

What was their reason and how much did they take off?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Neal, Their reason was, all Kia Sportage auto diesel's have their brakes skimmed at this KM's/or at first service. Again, if this is the case, in my opinion, they have a fault on the vehicle. No other reason given. The should they not replace the disks? And they did not tell me how much, they just said there are ridges in the disk and it needs to be skimmed.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

If it was just to correct ridges and not warpage, the amount taken off is minimal and will not cause an issue, while the brakes may get a little hotter, it is probably so little it is not even measurable. The disks are designed to be thick enough to be skimmed a couple times before needing to be replaced.

I am quite sure this will cause no problems and if it was mine I would rather have seasoned disks that have been skimmed rather than new. Seasoned disks have already seen a lot of heat cycles and actually perform better and are less likley to warp than new disks.