Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2011 Sportage: the oil filter

Where is the oil filter on the 2011 Sportage and what steps are required to change it?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

it is pretty easy. the oil filter is located on bottom side of engine by the oil pan. you just spin the filter off. make sure that the old oil filter gasket is not stuck to the oil filter housing before installing new filter.

For warranty purposes, make sure to keep your receipts for oil and filter purchase.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dealer said the filter is not a traditional spin off/on filter. The filter is located under some sort of a sealed cover on top of the engine. The filter is a cartridge type that fits into a well or something under the sealed cover.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
hi,

2011 sportage, correct?

that diagram is straight out of kia's service site
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
hi,

sorento has a cartridge, but not the sportage. possible that he quoted you on the sorrento instead of the sportage
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, well I am not sure what else I can tell you. you can remove the top engine cover and spend some time looking for a spin on filter that doesnt exist on your engine, or crawl underneath and find the oil filter next to the oil pan.

you were provided with directions and diagram from KIA SERVICE SITE, not some aftermarket manual like Haynes that is often wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went and looked under the car again. It has all sorts of plastic covers under the engine. I noticed a round access panel in the vicinity of the oil filter according to the provided diagram. I easily removed the cover and there was a standard spin off/on filter. The dealer could have explained this but the A-Holes fed me a bunch of BS about the location and type of filter thinking I would take the car in for them to do the work. Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome. I have a feeling that they looked up for the 3.5 sorrento which does have a cartridge filter underneath the engine cover, or just trying to scare you into having them do it so they make some money
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.