Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

Kia Rio The cooling fan on the radiator doesnt work. The

The cooling fan on the radiator doesn't work. The fuses look good and the mini relay has been swapped with another. The fan is plugged in to the harness. I replaced the radiator last week. Perhaps find a heat sensor and test it with a test meter in boiling water?
2001 Kia Rio
I appreciate your help. D. Evans
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Does the fan work with AC on?

did it work before you changed radiator?

is car overheating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey thanks for your help again Randall.

There is a seperate fan for the AC in front of the condensor coil. The AC doesn't work so I didn't even try it.

The fan behind the radiator worked before changing the radiator.

The engine is overheating if the car is not moving down the road. On the freeway or in town with no traffic it does fine. Stop and go traffic does not provide enough ram air for cooling. The fan just never comes on.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
sorry for the delay. Had to step out. back for good while now. let me pull some diagrams and look at the circuitt. If it worked before rad, may be easier back as quick as I can
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
do you happen to have a testlight or meter to check a couple things
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I have a meter. thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
ok, the circuit is not too difficult. you have a fuse, relay, and fan motor. the ECM ( computer) makes the ground to the fan relay. the computer gets temp signal from coolant temp sensor. My thoughts at this time are something shy of computer and temp sensor as it worked before. If you know wheer fan relay is,, remove it, turn key to RUN. probe the terminals the relay plugs into. I need to know how many have power ( 12 volts)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
13.28V on 2 terminals on C Fan relay #37 with the engine running. My son just drove the car to my house so it is warmed up (it's his car). When he first got here and I tested the relay there was only one terminal with power. As it idled for a few minuits a second terminal powered up. Now the engine is off. I suspect in a few moments it will cool and then there will only be one terminal powered.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Understood but please try to follow the steps I mention. I did not want running but key in RUN only. I am working through this step by step. When you feel cool, do the test again with key to on only. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Key on, engine not running, power on two terminals.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
thanks. if you remove relay. look at relay close, is there a diagram on relay showing what terminal is #87 and what is #30 ?
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
God, thanks. I need you to line up the 30 and 87 terminals from relay to terminals in fuse box. Once done, turn key to run only. use a pair of needle nose or paper clip and jump the terminals. just try touching at first as because when you do this, the fan is to come on. If fan problem etc, and does not come on, could get light spark. basically we are doing what the relay does and jumping power directt to fan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
paper clip across 30 and 87, key on, no fan.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
ok, this 100% rules out fuses, relay, computer and sensor. the problem lies between relay and fan meaning, you either have stuck fan motor, bad connection or lost fan motor gorund

You need to unplug fan, leave the jumper you just did with key ON, probe the white wire at fan. If power? then all good there. next leave exact same way and stsrt tapping on fan motor fairly hard with small hammer etc and see if you can jolt fan to working. if not, go to the black wire at fan plug and tap into it and run another wire from it to the NEG side of battery or something metal.

You either have stuck fan, undone ground or wire from relay to fan bad for some reason. here is the diagram pretty simple from relay to fan. we have direct powered the fan to no avail

Sometimes fan will stick and hitting it with key on, relay jumped will bring back to life

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
0 resistance in the motor wires. I took it apart. The brushes are warn to nearly nothing but still enough to touch the commutator. The commutator is really dirty. So off to a huge Ace Hardware that has various brushes. Shape to fit if I need to and polish the commutator with 320, 400 and 600 wet or dry.I'm guessing steam got into the motor when the radiator blew and it was the last straw. There is a lot of carbon dust in the motor which probably turned to mud.I've re-conditioned a lot of aircraft generators this way. I'll get back to you in about an hour. Thanks.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, very odd:),, never done that before but sounds like you have the knowhow. If power to moroe, ground good or you ran another, its in the motor. We know by jumping relay we powered up fan. Please... LMk how your repair goes, never done that :)
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went to Ace Hardware and found some brushes that are larger than I need so I will mill them to size on the milling machine. Actually I'll have my 19 year old son do it to show him how. I'll also have him lube the bearings and polish the commutator.The junk yard had no fans. They had all been removed already but then they are probably all warn out already anyhow. Now we will have a reconditioned motor. The Kia parts department wants $219 for a new motor and brushes are not available. On the other hand had I been tuning pianos all day today I would have made about $400.-. Enough to have payed to have someone else fix the car. As it is, it is still not fixed and the day is gone. But my son knows how to go to a junk yard, sort through makes and models, similar parts on newer or older years of the same car etc. We pulled out a window to replace one of his that was broken. We'll go back and get a back bumper to replace his that was torn off when he got rear ended. A new sun visor and what ever else he thinks he needs. So the time spent with him is priceless. I'll try to send you some photos if I find an email for you.Thanks so much for your help. D. Evans
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ypou can send pics through this link via the paperclip icon on your end. we and customers do often. Please lmk how it goes. I am here near each day and here to help. Many thanks