George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

2003 kia optima: the MAF/IAT sensor located and what color..signal

i have a 2003 kia optima where is the MAF/IAT sensor located and what color is the power(or signal) wire
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The MAF is on the air intake duct between the filter housing and the throttle body and you are looking for the pink and white wires for the IAT. This is pins 1 and 2 of the five pin connector on the MAF

Let em know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so what is the difference between the white and pink
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The white is the signal to the computer from the IAT and the pink is the power to the sensor as shown in one set of diagrams and in another it is shown as ground.

The diagrams show the pink as power but they also show it as ground, I would check it before installing the sensor with a voltmeter, it has to be ground.

The white in #1 is definatly the signal from the IAT but the pink wire in #4 may be the sensor ground. Do you have a voltmeter to check?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
taking it to dealership
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

You really don't need to go to the dealership for this all you need is a voltmeter to check which diagram KIA published is correct.

Pull the connector off the MAF and measure between the white wire and the black or pink wire and see which one shows 5 volts. That will give you the two wires you are looking for.

A dealer will either not tell you or charge you 1/2 hour ($55) to determine which diagram is published correctly, if you don't have a meter you can buy one for $9.99 at the autoparts or big box stores or borrow one through the tool loaner program at the chain autoparts stores

Let me know how I can help

Thank you