Neal
Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

I have 2001 kia sportage that will not start ....

Customer Question

i have 2001 kia sportage that will not start ....it trys but just wont start when cranking the motor
Category: Kia
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

The oil will not affect the pump. It sounds like your pcm may be the problem.

Can you read any codes?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it says no codes found ........what PCM ?? ,,,if its bad will it not run the fuel pump ...hey but i hooked it direct and it wouldnt start ...i also sprayed the starting fluid and it still would start

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
I misunderstood the part about you hooking it direct. And if starting fluid will not do it it must be the timing belt. Are you sure it is good?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes im sure its good ......it might have slipped a few notches ..but its good ....one cyclinder has 60psi though
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
If it slipped that can be enough for it not to run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i know that .....but do they slip often .....and why did u say the pcm

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

More often they loose some teeth and slip. When you said the pump was not working, sometimes it is the pcm that has gone bad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if pcm is bad the fuel pump will not run ?? ....im sure the oil in the park plug well was not helping it start either .....plus can it start with 60psi on the one cylinder
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
The pcm can cause the pump not to run. And it should start even with the 60 psi but not run well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ....where is the pcm located ??
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

It's on the passenger side up under the dash.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok ...finishing up ...what about the crank sensor and all that stuff

why wouldn it not run when i prayed starting fluid in it

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
That is why I said the belt is the likely cause. if you have fuel and spark it should run. If it was the crank sensor there would be no spark.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok well i said the belt slipped cuz i did have spark ....ok so the only other thing that would make the fuel pump not work would be the pcm .? you didnt mention anything about why didnt the starting fluid make it start and then cut back off if the fuel pump is bad
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
If the starting fluid is not working, that is why I said the belt may be the cause.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok one last thing .....if all the plug wells was real full of oil like i never seen ,,,would that have kept it from cranking and maybe not the belt slipped ? clean that out and new plugs it might start with the staring fluid right >?> then straight wire the fuel pumo and it might run ...then get to the pcm ??
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
That would be worth a try, if the oil was that bad I would try it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was like 2 or 3 inches deep ..im sure it was to the top of the plug ...if i direct wired the fuel pump ...if the oil was a problem ...will the pump make it start then >?>
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
It could if the oil was the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i guess what i was asking is there something else in the circuit with the fuel pump that wouldnt let it start even though the fuel was hooked direct to 12 volts ??
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

No, if it had spark it should run.

Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck with it.