Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

How do I replace the front brake pads on my 2005 KIA Sedona?

Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 3 years ago.
It's actually quite simple. The hardest part I found was removing the bolts from the caliper and was able to get them off with some liquid wrench and a socket wrench. Once you get the caliper off, take a small bungee cord and hook the caliper up on the spring so that you don't stretch or damage the brake line. The pads will just slide off. There are 2 clips and a thin plate (keep these).

Pay close attention and note how you removed the old pads as this is how you will put the new pads back on.

You might also want to check the rotors and make sure they have no grooves and are smooth. To be on the safe side it would not hurt to replace them, (31.99 each from Autozone), to replace the rotors it only requires the removal of the caliper bracket and 2 phi lips head screws, then it slides right off and put the new one on and replace the screws and caliper bracket.

Make sure you grease the back of the pad and the plate. Now slide the new pads back on.

Now it is time to put the caliper back on. On the Kia Sedona there are 2 pistons per caliper. Remove the lid from the brake fluid resevoir. Take one of the old brake pads and place over the pistons then take the C-clamp and tighten it until each piston is fully pushed back in. You'll know if they aren't because the caliper will not go back over the new pads until they are. Also note that the brake pads will be flush up against the rotor.

Once the caliper is back on and bolted down reach in the van and press the brake pedal w/ your hand, (you really don't want to physically get in the van while it is jacked up) and press the pedal until you have solid pressure.

And that is it. Put your tire back on and take it for a test drive.Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do I accept now or wait till I'm in the thick of things in case I need more clarifying...?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have to bleed the brakes and is hand tightening the caliper bolt?
No bleeding brakes is necessary . Tighten bolt till it's tight and another 1/2 turn make sure it's snug and secure.
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master