Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

Kia Sedona thermostat and cooling fan wiring.

My Kia Sedona 2005 van is overheating. jI suspect either a thermostat or the radiator fan on the passenger side (see below):

1. Where is the thermostat? Is it in the lower radiator hose at the engine? I don't see it on the upper hose.

2. When working on something else, the cooling fan on the passenger side needed disconnecting. When I tried to unplug the fan moter connecter, it just disintegrated in my hand, so I can't tell the polarity. So what colors on the fan side of the connector should I connect to what colors on the other side? There are only two wires, but 4 colors (the fan side are different than the wiring harness side).
HiCustomerThank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
Here is a diagram of the fan connectors with color. This is as if you are looking into the harness side of the connector and not the fan side. Hopefully this will help.
As for the thermostat, here is it's location as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple more questions:

1. On the cooling fan connector, the connector crumled to dust, so I have no idea what the polarity on those connector halves was. I basically just have 4 wires: 2 from the wiring harness and two coming out of the motor. So the connector diagram doesn't help much on either side. If you could just tell me the wire colors that mate. OR if you should show me both sides of the connector for the fan I could figure it out from there. The colors on the harness side are not the same as the colors on the fan motor side.

2. Can I assume on the thermostat that it's attached to the lower radiator hose not the upper? Most I've seen are on the upper, but I didn't find one in the line at the motor end on the upper radiator hose (it's a metal piece anyway).

Lower hose where it comes to the block.
The wiring diagram doesn't give the wire colors on the fan motor side. I understand what you need, but I can't give it to you. Nobody can, you will likely have to use trial and error. If the motor turns the wrong direction one way, switch the wires.
I do totally understand what you are saying, there just isn't any way to give you the info. This is the same type of issue we have with O2 sensor connectors as well.