john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician

Kia Sportage EX my 1999 kia sportage wont start. I have

Customer Question

my 1999 kia sportage won't start. I have changed the spark plugs,,,what else can be the problem??
Category: Kia
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 5 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing. when it wont start

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so are you saying it could be the fuel pump and would this keep the car from starting??
exactly yes...some testing to confirm would be a good idea