Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2004 Sorento: intermittent..(radio, blower, dash lights..start right

I have an intermittent problem with my 2004 Sorento when I turn the key to start it the engine will not turn. All electronics will come on (radio, blower, dash lights) and after 6 or 7 tries the engine will turn and everything is fine. Sometimes I can turn the key and it will start right up. It does not seem to matter if the engine is hot or not.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

When the engine will not start do you hear a click? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, everytime I turn the key. Most times if I kick the cover inside with my left foot it seems to let it start. Is there a relay in there that might be sticking? If there is I am not sure where or which one.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
There is no relay on interior related to starting system..There is a starter relay under hood if that doesnt help it sounds like a bad starter..During problem verify both wires at starter have good voltage while trying to start and if so replace starter..You can also remove starter to have it bench tested for free at your local parts store. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Put in new starter already. I don't understand why hitting the drivers side kick panel with my foot will cause it to start up. I normally have a shop manual for my cars, this one I don't because the cost is so high so I don't know what is behind the panel.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

I have a shop manual, here is wire diagram so you can see how system operates.