Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

Kia Sportage EX will the brakes still work if the abs ecu

will the brakes still work if the abs ecu is not working or disconnected
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.+
HI there!
The mechanical brakes will still function normally. The car won't have the abs which is all electrical components and the light will be lit up on the dash, but the car will continue to stop just like it always does.
It will be completely safe to drive.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what eletrical do i disconnect to disable abs I am attempting to pinpoint a problem
You could just unplug the abs fuse. It is located in the fuse box under the hood.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did that no difference sometimes when brake is depressed abs seems to engage and causes car to stop abruptly rear passenger wheel locks up this has happened 3 times car at normal operating temps no known overheating situations brake fluid resevior at correct level is there any connectors that can be unplugged

My guess would be you need to remove the rear wheel. Check for a leaking wheel cylinder or axle seal gumming up the shoes.
ABS is ANTI LOCK brakes, it isn't causing the brakes to lock up.It's job it to prevent the wheels from locking up. If you removed the fuse, that completely disables the ABS system. Unplugging the ABS pump would be exactly the same thing.