George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

KIA: remove the hub way to get a new one in

05 KIA Sedona
Need to replace a couple of wheel studs on rear hub
do I need to remove the hub assembly? I got the drum off and there is a ring behind the hub with splines on one side that prevents the damaged stud from coming out, and no way to get a new one in.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The ring is the ABS tone wheel and you will have to remove the hub to replace the stud as you will have to take the tone wheel out of the way.

The procedure to disassemble the hub is below

Click here

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right, OK so I mite as well replace the bearings and seals as well while I have it apart. Do I need the slide hammer you think to get it off?

If the races are corroded or worn you need to be able to get the races out and the easiest way to do this is with a slide hammer. Many auto parts stores have rental tools that end up to be rented at no cost when you return them.

There is a Recall notice for the center hubcap in that the dealer would replace the cap with a new design to keep water out of the bearings. You may want to call them with the VIN to see if this has been done, they can run a history on the vehicle and see if the recall is open.

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure if I just asked the same question twice but here it goes. I removed the hub and knocked the ABS disk off the back. replaced the damaged stud. Do i need to replace the bearings outraces and seal? or can i repack the grease and reassemble? Just made a few calls its going to be days to get parts. thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Bruce in Toronto Canada

If you don't see ant corrosion or wear on the races you can repack and reassemble, these bearings will last a good many more years if you keep the water out of them.

When you tried to ask this before were you trying to respond to an email?

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you