Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Kia soul: light came..gas tank..I replaced fuel line air filter

My engine malfunction light came on my kia soul, does not affect performance, but when filling gas tank, pump keeps shutting off, now cant put more than gallon in without spitting back out, also after filling strong gas fumes I replaced fuel line air filter, seems vent line is clogged, how can i clean out
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the check engine light is on due to an evaporative emissions fault, which is directly related to the problems with filling the gas tank. without knowing the exact fault code, which can only be retreived by the use of a diagnostic scanner, I can only tell you the likely cause(s).

This isnt the vent line being clogged as they are much more complex than they used to be and dont clog as it is only vapor going thru it and vapors cannot clog.

This is likely going to be either the vent valve being defective, which sits atop the gas tank, or the purge valve solenoid being faulty.

Both of these items are covered by your factory warranty, unless you have put more than 100,000 miles on it in one year.

you just need to take it in to your Kia dealer to be diagnosed and repaired under the warranty. Attempting to repair yourself, can and will void the warranty