Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

2003 kia: stalled..fuel pump, spark plugs..wont start..injectors

Customer Question

my 2003 kia stalled out around the corner from my house, towed home and since them i've installed new crank position sensor, fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel relay, cam sensor, and still won't start checked injectors with noid light and get no pulse, anybody out there that can give me a clue how to get my kia running?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
You may have broke the timing belt. Take off the oil cap and make sure the cams are turning when you crank the engine. You may be able to see the cams through the oil fill.
Give it a try and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i already put a new belt on whenever i was installing the crank sensor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
OK, sorry, you didn't mention that.
Do you have spark?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i put a spark plug on number three wire and seen no spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on like it's suppose to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I think the next thing is to check and see if there are any stored codes in the ecm.
You can use a code reader for this. It is possible there is a wiring problem from the cam or crank sensor to the ecm.No spark and no pulse is normally caused by one of those 2 sensors.
That being said, the ignition fail sensor can also be the culprit.
This I believe is located on the thermostat housing. Has two wires, pink/black. You can try to jumper the 2 wires and see if it will start. If it does,then the resistor in the sensor is no good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm looking on the thermostat housing and can only see the temp sending unit, is there any place that it might be, also the parts house has no available part for this
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to locate a photo of the sensor.
It has 4 wires actually and may be bolted to the head.
The wire colors are as follows, black,tan/black, white and red/black.
Even the kia service manual is not providing a location. If I find a diagram I will post it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your help and if you have any idea what the sensor looks like or where to look, i'd appreiate the help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to dig it up. If you could get a code reader it would probably help a lot.
Part #4 in this diagram.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i just bought a actron pocket scan and it said 2 codes one is P0335 the next number is XXXXX same with two symbols behind it , i dont have symbols like them on my keyboard kinda look like a bq together i hope this can help us figure my car again thank you for your advise
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
OK, it is the crank sensor code. We are going to need to check the wiring for the crank sensor. Do you have a volt meter? We need that to check this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i won't be able to get one today might be next week before i can put my hands on one
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I think that is fine, just post a re[ly when you are ready so we can check the wiring for the crank sensor. Since you have replaced it and it will kill spark and pulse, it is either likely the wiring or the ecm with issues.
Let me know, I will be here when you are ready.
Mike V., Technician
Experience: I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have another question the ecm is going to be a dealer only part and even have to order it, whats your opinion on a used one from a junkyard
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I think a used one would be fine and I see nothing stating it would have to be reprogrammed in my information.
Thank you for the accept.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you tell me where to look for the ecm and what it looks like

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
It is under the glove box near the right kick panel.
Or it is possible under the center of the dash.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you i'll try to get one tomorrow and see where that leaves me if i still need a volt meter i might be able to do that to really need this thing to run Thank you for your help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, hopefully we can get it back to running for you! That is the plan my friend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so i got a used ecm out of a wrecked car anything that i need to know before i swap them out
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No, they should just swap without a problem. Nothing indicates it needs any kind of reprogramming.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so my car still won't start after swapping ecm's what should be my next step
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, same code coming up with the new ecm?
Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK so the used replacement ecm reads no link, i just plugged it in and didn't mount it thinking that it wasn't necessary to mount it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I don't think mounting is required,, it should have a couple of ground wires.
Sounds like either the ecm is not plugged in tightly or the ecm is no good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i've got an auto-ranging meter, never used one before but willing to learn something new so what should be my next step plug in the original and reread
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, throw the old ecm back in and see if it will get any codes.
Then we will check for power and ground on the sensor wires and then have to ohm out the signal wire. I can help you with reading the meter so let me know when you have things ready to roll!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so i got both ecm s to give the same code p0335
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, good deal.
Set the volt meter to 12 volts dc. Then check it on the battery terminals to make sure it reads the battery voltage.
Once you have that, unplug the crank sensor and check the pink wire, terminal 3 for battery voltage with the key on and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok batt 12.40 pink to black 12.25 w/ key on pink to yellow 138.6
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, pink to yellow doesn't matter. Now we have to check for continuity to ground. To do this, you have to switch the meter to ohms.
Put one probe in the black wire and touch the other to ground. This should read anything but OL
Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
00.0 w/key on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that is good as well.
Next step is to check the wire that is the signal wire.
To do this you have to unplug the ecm and find the wire for the crank sensor in the bundle.
It is connector B #5 unplug this and check for continuity on the wire.
Here is a little trick, but it is important the ecm be unplugged.
Put a 12 volt power wire in the end of the crank sensor harness. Yellow wire.
Then go inside with your voltmeter and check the wire for battery voltage. if it has battery voltage, and you will think I am nuts, put a cam sensor on the car.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i was just guessing which bundle was b i found current in the second bundle from the back of the car on the brown wire 20.1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so is that a good sign yhat the cam sensor is bad even though i just changed it what about the wiring to the cam sensor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No it should be a yellow wire, not brown. Sorry I had to step out and get a kid :)
I didn't send the diagram of the harness sorry.
Here it is, this is what the connector will look like unplugged.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its all good i understand just playing solitaire anyways the connector with the yellow wire in that position shows very little current 00.1
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if you are putting in the 12 volts like I said, and only getting that kind of voltage the wire is no good and the problem.
You need to try and find the break or replace the wire.
Have to stop for dinner then I will be back.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok enjoy . i put a hot wire straight from the batt to a paper clip in the yellow wire and grounded inside my black lead and got very little reading so can i just replace a wire from the ecm out to the plug for the crank sensor and just so you know the plug for the cam sensor was bad and i spliced a new one on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how about a fresh start tomorrow let me know about splicing the wire thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok well i'm a dumbass i had the neg wire off the batt hooked up i get 12.40 on yellow wire get back to me tomorrow is cool i'm rapping it up tonight
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so the wiring for the crank sensor is actually in tact then.
We will go after the wiring for the cam sensor tomorrow!
I do have to take the kid out for a while, plan on leaving about 11 am Eastern time.
Then be back around 2.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sounds good i got one apartment to paint then i'm free before i gotta go to Oklahoma
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
sounds good, we will see if we can get this thing rolling yet!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i'm here at the house, let me know whenever your ready to guide me through the next step
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry my friend, things took way longer with the kid then I thought, but I am here now if you have time!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea whats the next test
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.
We are going to play the same game with the cam sensor.
You want to check for battery voltage on the pink wire with the key on.
Then also check for continuity to ground on the black wire.
Then, check for continuity on the yellow wire, only this time it is B16 on the diagram I sent. Run the same test, with power to the wire and check for the 12 volts inside the car.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok pink to black 12.14 black to ground 00.0
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Actually if you tested the pink using the black wire, you check them both at the same time. There would be no power if the black power wire were broken. Time to go after that yellow B16 again...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so i need to put my jump wire in to the pink right and then which wire at the ecm
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No, put the jump into the yellow, not the pink. The pink has voltage so we know that is good. Put the jump in the yellow, then check the harness B #16 at the ecm.
This is right below the yellow you checked for the crank sensor.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
12.22 right below the yellow wire iys an off brown wire
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Hold the phone, is this an auto or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

auto

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Should be yellow according to kia! :)
Ok, not 100% sure on this, plug the ecm back in and see if there is a 5 volt reference signal on the yellow wires for both the cam and can sensors.
Wiring seems fine at this point BTW
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i've got everything plugged back in now how do i go about checking the sensors
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
well, first I would like to see if there is 5 volts on the yellow wires to the sensors in the plugs. Let me know. I will see if I can drag up some testing on the actual sensors next.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i think i understand , i'm testing the plugs at both sensors yellow wires w/ key on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, on the harness side, not the sensor side if that makes sense. We still aren't actually looking at the sensors themselves.
One in the yellow and then ground your meter on something metal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok with my meter set on 12v i get 96.7 on both yellow wires
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that is less then one volt, so lets try plugging them in and then back probe the connector and see if we can get the voltage up to 5. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i think i understand you got them plugged in and put my probe in the back of connector the crank reads 32.0 the cam 34.9
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, you are on target here. Like to have a helper crank the engine and see if there is any voltage produced. You may see it come on and off. I don't think the meter is fast enough to pick it up, but it is the only chance we have without a scope.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i gotta work on the helper thing but just so i know that i'm testing correctly sensor plugged in and back test it or unplug the crank sensor and try it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Plugged in, then probe the back of the connector to the sensor. I think you are doing it right. What we are trying to do is see if the sensor is sending any signal that we can detect, so it needs to be plugged in.
Also, we have to get back to that ignition failure sensor. I think I saw it in one of the diagrams bolted to the head. Maybe right next to the thermostat housing.
It has a 4 wire connector, black, tan/black,white, and red/black wires.
I am sorry, I have to step out again for about 1.5 hours, please let me know what you find.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok found the fail sensor you do what you gotta do my helper should be awake later ?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
yeah, give me just a bit! Got to go and retrieve my other kid and feed them.
Then we will hook back up, I want to test the fail sensor. I am seeing some info that even with the crank code, this sensor is causing the no start...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so now i've gotta run won't be back till sunday night have yourself a good easter thanks for the help i'll get with you whenever i get back
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
OK, you have a great Easter as well! Sorry we didn't get it repaired today! Post when you're ready!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm here at the house if your available, i checked with the dealer and the ignition fail sensor is available so if thats the problem i can get my hands on a new one
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Cool man, let's see what we can do!
Ok, unplug the sensor, check for power on the red/black wire. Key on, battery voltage should be there.
Then check for continuity to ground on the black wire
Then, measure the voltage on the white wire.
This should be about 5 volts, check this and let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok lets see if i'm doing thie right my wires aren't the right color i've got pink w/ black and key on i get 12.07 using black to check checking the white wire w/ the black i get 111.1 meter set on 12 volts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I don't think you are on the right sensor.
You should have the wire colors I have, if not I have to think it is the wrong sensor.
Keep digging for the sensor. Sorry, I have to be 100% sure on this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its the only one on the back of the head by the thermostat any chance you might know have a pic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I still haven't been able to find a pic of the darn thing. I know it's there because I have the wiring diagram. Even KIA is not showing it on any of their diagrams.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i'm going to run to the kia dealer and their going to let me look at the new one so i know i'm testing the right one take me about an hour
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Cool, plus one of the techs might know where the sucker is on the engine.
I will be here!
If not, you know what to test and post the findings with me :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok not only did i get to look at the sensor but i have a replacement in hand so if i need it fine and as long as i don't plug it in i can return it so i was testing the right sensor my wires are pink w/ black orange w/ black white and black
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, this is going to be fun :)
Pink/black must be the power wire.
Use a ground on the engine, not the ground wire.
Check for continuity to ground on the black wire. Set the meter to ohms.
Like to have you recheck the white wire for 5 volts using the engine as the ground,
and test the orange/black just in case, for the 5 volts.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok ground on engine pink w/b 12.00 white 110.3 ground reads 00.0 nothing on orange
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, we have a problem on the white wire. It should get 5 volts from the ecm.
Unplug the ecm and check B3, this should be a white wire.
Do the voltage thing, add voltage outside the car, and then use the voltmeter like we did before on the yellow wires when we were chasing the cam and crank sensor wiring.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok am i looking in the same connector as the last two wires tested because i get a reading on a green wire in that block only 12.24
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, Is it in the location that is shown as B3 on the harness diagram?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i found it 12.20
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok,Now, pull the power wire out, plug the ecm back in and check the power by back probing the ecm connector with the key on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but not with the power wire plug in this time right
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Right, we don't want to smoke the ecm. Take the power wire right off.
Then plug the ecm in and then see what type of power we have coming right out of the ecm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
110.4 key on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, put the other ecm in and see if it comes up to 5 volts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
109.6 i still have the sensor unplugged if that will make a difference
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Not sure so lets try plugging it in and see what happens. You won't hurt anything.
The sensor probably is the ground.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
plugged in 53.1
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
See, I think that is ok.
So, one more test, back probe the harness connector at the sensor.
Orange/black wire plugged in and key on.
Have to break for dinner, post the findings and I will get back asap.
Here is the info, if you don't get battery voltage, it is saying to put a known good sensor on and retest.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok key on original ecm plugged in orange wire 11.92 pink 11.97 white 53.9
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, that seems good then. Dang it.
You are sure there is not any spark correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'll check again do i need to replace ignition fail sensor . with a spark plug in the end of the wire and helper turning it over no spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No, I don't want you to change the fail sensor.,
it seems to be all good in my opinion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it this thing starting to frustrate you too
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
lol, well, I am running out of ideas is all.
I usually don't lose to cars.
I think we are going to have to go back and double check the timing belt.
Electrically everything seems good at this point.,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i'm on my way to pull the top cover
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know. I know you changed it, but I might have to have you check the bottom marks as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
belts in place won;t have time to open up the bottom today but might have the day off tomorrow
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I am afraid we need to check that and the balance shaft belt. It has to be mechanical at this point. You did a great job checking all the electrical BTW.
I will be here all day tomorrow so pop on when you can.
Sorry we haven't beat it just yet!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did a quick check i lined up the timing marks for boyh cams and felt the crank mark seems a little off but only a few degrees would this keep it from firing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
It may keep it from firing if it isn't on. The crank sensor will see it as off, and throw the code. Then that will shut it down.
I am also wondering if it is possible the harness for the crank sensor might be rubbing on the belt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok fresh start in the morning pending the day off and hopefully you'll be available also, thanks for the help, have a blessed evening
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You to man, hope we can get it right next time. You may have noticed I hate to lose :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
arighty carguy are tou available today, i'm all the way back down to the small belt behind the timing belt it appeared that the crank was a couple teeth off so i just want to make sure that i'm lining them up right. the crank and the small pilley have marks where they line up then i install the belt with the cams on their marks then install the belt tensinor question ? do i need a new tensinor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You should not need a new tensioner.
Here are the timing marks for both belts.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok finally i got all the timing marks lined up and i'm about to put the covers back together anything that i should know before i proceed
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, see if it will start before you put the cover on :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok wasn't sure if i could do that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, don't if it starts or anything. Don't let it run long, we just need to hear it fire.
I forgot it has the one motor mount in the way on the side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i didn't remove that mount to work with the belt you only have to take the mount out of the way for new belt but the pulleys not on for the water pump
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
That's ok, you won't let it run long enough for it to matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still won't start

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, are you sure you had #1 piston on top dead center compression stroke?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i only moved it very little whenever i put the new belt on and in all the time checking everything

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I need to have you try this
#1 cylinder is the one closest to the timing belt.
pull the plug and put the dipstick in there. Then rotate the engine by hand. You will see it start to rise and then fall. When it gets to the highest point, slip the crank pulley on and make sure you can see the hash marks for the timing.If they are on top, there is a pointer on the cover and it should point to these. If not, rotate the engine again until the dipstick comes to the highest point. This time, the hash marks should line up with the pointer and the #1 cylinder will be at TDC compression stroke.
Then, realign the belt. I think you may have the crank off 180, this will cause a crank sensor code for sure.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i've pulled the plug in #1 and its on top still have the belt on and all the marks are lined up do i need to take everything apart and start over
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
No, now what I need you to do is get the cover and slide it into it's basic location.
Then put the crank pulley on, don't have to bolt it on, and make sure when you look at it, you can see the timing marks and the pointer is pointing at them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
points right at tdc
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well crap, but it is good to in that the belt is on right.
Ok, did you have to remove the plate that the crank sensor reads..
I don't think it is separate from the crank sprocket, but I rally can't remember.I am also tempted to have you replace the crank sensor again since you are in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i had to take the plate off but it only goes on one way i'd like to ask if there is any it could be the ignition fail sensor the parts dealer said that would keep it from starting
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, the fail sensor seemed to test out good. I hate to see you throw it on and loose the money. Honestly I am at a loss at this point and I am as tempted as you to throw it on.
Maybe if you have some cleaner there just in case you could through it on and see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm up for that another question do i need to clear any codes after installing it and can i just plug it in or does it need to be grounded
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
The harness will ground it and you should not have to clear any codes :) (fingers crossed)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still won't start and checked for spark and have none
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, did we try the test for voltage on the yellow wire on the crank sensor.
Should see some low voltage on the yellow wire while cranking. Possibly 5 volts, not 100% sure we will see this with a meter, but maybe. It has to be while cranking the engine.
Still have the crank sensor code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
31.7 while cranking the engine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I think the meter is not on the 12 volt scale.
If it were, then it would be reading 3.17 volts which would be sort of ok.
What it is reading is millivolts, so not even one volt is being produced on this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i got it on 12 v and checked it against my battery and it reads good there even by just having the key on i get 31.7 and yes still have code p0335
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
So we basically have no voltage change even when the wheel passes the sensor.
Test our pink wire for battery voltage on the sensor side of the plug, back probe it and see if the wire has battery voltage. Do this with it plugged in.
let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
11.94 key on sensor side
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
well, I have to think either there is an issue with the plate or the sensor.
Just for fun, check that yellow on the cam sensor and see if you get a different voltage reading while cranking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it jumped up around while cranking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the crank sensor is not reading.
It is either bad, or the reluctor wheel is on backwards.If you are sure the wheel is on right, then get a different sensor and put it in there.
I have to believe it is the problem. Maybe they will warranty the old one for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what are the chances that the wheel would go bad
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
pretty slim unless the belt got tangled in it. It passes through the sensor and doesn't ever touch anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the small belt behind the timing belt was broken whenever i replaced the timing belt i'm checking with the dealer now for the reluctor wheel

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
ok, let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the dealer can get me one this time tomorrow and they've sold about 7 in the past year so its possible that it went out i don't think i put it on backwards
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Worth a shot my friend. I am definitely not happy with the info the crank sensor is sending i can tell you that.
It is hard to tell without a scope, but since it is changing with the cam sensor, I think the problem is in there.
I will be here tomorrow all day as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm not sure what my day holds yet i need to work for the money but i will get that wheel and a new sensor as well then we'll know that we fet the problem, fingers crossed
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
sounds like a plan. I actually will be here most of the week with the exception of a couple hours Thursday to some side work on a kids Toyota :)
so let me know when you are ready!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
give me a good ole 64 anyday
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I love the muscle cars, but I love the technology to :)
The problem is all the tools required these days. Everything is driven by the computers and the sensors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea i can fix the old cars with a carb and dist but w/all the new sensors i have to turn for help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, it is hard to keep up on these cars as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i'm all set for tomorrow i got a new reluctor wheel and a new crank sensor, the only question i might have is whenever i get the new parts on does the crank pulley need to be on to try and start the engine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
The crank pulley doesn't have to be on. If the engine starts though, turn it off quickly so it doesn't overheat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
good morning carguy, well i installed a new reluctor whell,&crank sensor, still no fire, verified that #1 was on compression stroke checked for fire at spark plug, i'm at a loss here really need some help, Q is it possible for both the coil packs to go out at once, but i'm still getting the p0335 code
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Boy, what the heck is going on with this car!!
It is highly unlikely that both coils will go out at the same time and with the 355 it really seems the ecm is shutting the coils down.
Plus, after all this cranking if you have no fuel smell, the injectors aren't firing either.
Both normally what you would expect with the 355 code.
You don't have some type of alarm system on the car or anything do you? Also, I didn't think this car has an immobilizer system on it.
I assume there is still no signal from the crank sensor when cranking the engine? Like you saw with the cam sensor?
Back probe the black wire on the senor side and check for continuity to ground. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok just to clairifie the code is p0335 it does have one of those auto starts but i haven't had a remote for it since i've had the car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, got my numbers mixed up.
If you can find the box for the remote start under the dash, unplug it. Might not make a difference, but they will shut the engine down.
Not to say it is the problem, but we are running out of options here.
Check the ground to. Maybe we are not getting proper ground on the crank sensor and that is causing the loss of signal. We know you are getting proper voltage,but you aren't using the sensor ground to test the voltage.
Hope that makes sense
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i backed probed the ground 00.4 while cranking the engine

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, we need to see .05 volts or less. Check the connector and make sure the pin is making good contact inside the connector. Maybe one of the wires is pushing out of the connector instead of making the connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the connector on the crank sensor is ix excellent conidition the one i would question is the cam sensor its heat brittle and missing some of it insulation
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
It is possible, but the cam sensor is sending the signal and the crank sensor is not.
We check the continuity to ground on that wire and it was good. Without the sensor plugged in. Now we have to check the sensor side.
Try the continuity without cranking the engine. Just back probe on the sensor side and see if that wire is reading OL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
0.5 not cranking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Not voltage, looking for ohms, set the scale to ohms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thats where i set it it read ol before i back probed it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, just wanted to be sure!
Well, the only idea I have left is to unplug the remote start and see what happens. I had one on the wifes car and when it went bad it turned all the parking lights on. It may be a factor, from here everything checks out and it should be working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i unplugged the keyless remote
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I just don't know what I am missing here.
I would open this one back up but with 80+ posts I don't think the other experts would look at it.
You may want to start a new question so the others can take a look. Maybe someone has run into this issue and will know what I have missed.
I will also put you in for a refund if you would like, I just am at a loss.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea i don't know what else to check
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm not so worried about the money as i am in getting my car running
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I really don't either, seems to me that we have checked everything and I believe you have done your end perfectly fine. At this point I just can't imagine what the problem is.
I do understand which is why I think you should post the question again. Like I said, I don't think the other experts would take the time to read through our posts, but you will have plenty of information to give them from everything we have tested. Voltages and things o this nature.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well i reposted and i thank you for your help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You are very very welcome and if you get this sucker running, please let me know what the darn problem was!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'll do that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well carguy your probably gonna think i'm a dumbass, did you know that its possible to put a crank sensor on backwards the ecm was bad but even after sending it to a shop well its running again just needs a power steering line
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I can honestly say that you aren't a dumbass!
I had no idea it could go in backwards,who knew!
I just can't even believe it really.