Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

Kia sportage 98 sportage 2.0... codes p0300 (random-multi

98 sportage 2.0... codes p0300 (random-multi misfire), p0301 (misfire cyl. 1), p0302 (misfire cyl.2) does not seem to be a dead miss.. but misses more under load in gear... should i start w/ the plugs ang coils, or is it a common problem that results in more intailed timing issues?? 103K miles...

Tracer :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question..A random misfire code is computer detected of 2 or more cylinders missing. My first thought would be a coil going bad. 1 coil control 2 cylinders. If a small carbon track or crack developed, it would arc between the 2 cylinders at the coil and set a code 300.Coils were quite common. Now.. the only way to be 100% is to view firing data on a scanner so without one, i can only offer opinion and most common and.. per your description. Under any load, light to moderate, coil voltage must be increased. When that happens, this is the time if you have a weak coil or one cracked, the spark will arc under higher load demand. I think you are on track with coils/plugs. I seriously doubt a timing issue at only 103k.

Customer:

I have only run the scanner to see what codes it was throwing... I did not tear anything apert yet to look any further... i didn't know if it had a common issue like the saturns theat leaked oil and fouled out the plugs or what.. i never messed around w/ kia's and i just like to know what i'm looking at before i proceed..

Tracer :

I Yes,, the valve cover can? have bad seal rings around plug holes allowing oil in and around plugs. You will not know this till you remove a plug. I am leaning to coil issues,. This was very common on this engine.

Customer:

ok.. well i just glad to hear that it isn't a timing issue... it isn't my vehicle and didn't want to be going threw a bunch of parts and it not being the prob. but that was my first impression, coils and/ or plugs...

Tracer :

Timing belts and chains normally either break OR skip. In either case engine would not run OR run VERY poorly

Customer:

ok.. well i thank you... the confidence means alot!!

Tracer :

I fully understand. Its a slightly hard call not being there running tests but surely coils were big problem on this engine and year