Amedee
Amedee, Kia Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Kia Sephia 2001 KIA Sephia Turns over but wont start. It

Customer Question

2001 KIA Sephia
Turns over but won't start. It has a new fuel pump & pressure at the rail.
When the key is on, there is a buzzing sound coming from the intake manifold and if you remove the "EGI" relay, the noise stops. Can that be the cause of the problem, or is that normal?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, first of all, I wouldn't know a noid light from a nerd light.
You are not talking to a "technician" in a fully equipped garage.
Where we are at, there are no KIA dealers with 100 miles. We are trying to help a friend out. I was a mechanic "back in the day" and have built some of the fastest drag cars of the time. The newer electronic systems are not my baby.
I will try the start fluid test and let you know.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. sounds good.

Also, you can check for spark with a screwdriver. Of course... just don't hold on to it when the engine is being cracked over.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are trying, and that is all I can expect.
We did the start fluid test and "no go", so obviously it is an electrical problem. I doubt the compression, because this car was running really nice before this happened. He stopped to pick up a door latch device, so we could replace that and when he cam out, it started twice, but would die when put in gear. After those two tries, it would only crank and not even attempt to start. We changed the pump, because the guy at the junkyard listened for the pump and said it wasn't running and so our friend was convinced it was the pump. I tried to tell him we needed to check things out, but he insisted on the pump. Just so you know all there is to tell. Will try spark test next and get back to you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
That would be great!

If you can do this for me, I think I will be able to narrow it down quite a bit for you. I just need to know some basic information.

I think we are getting closer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No spark at the plug lead.
In my original question, I asked about the buzzing noise in the intake.
Is that normal. It starts as soon as you turn the key on. If I pull the EGI relay, it stops. We just checked all the fuses I thought related to the ignition and sensor circuits. All are good.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
THanks for the info!

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No check engine light with key on.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well this is your problem! Your computer is not even awake! Chances are you are missing a power or a ground to the computer causing it not to wake up. The only other possibility would either be a bad computer or the computer is being shorted out by another computer or a sensor.

I would start by checking all powers and grounds going to the PCM. THis includes all powers from all fuses, fusible links and even from the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for all your help, but that is beyond our capability. I will gladly accept your answer and thanks again. It looks like we will trailer it to the dealer in Memphis, Tennessee.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. Just to let you know, I will be more than happy to continue to help you out regarding this matter. It sometimes can just be a fuse causing no power to the computer. If my answer has helped you, please don't forget to hit the green accept button. If you have any further questions, please hit the reply button and I we can continue this dialog.
Amedee, Kia Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
AMEDEE, I don't know if you will get this or not, but thanks again for your help. We actually found the problem partially due to your last comments. About the grounds and shorts. It made me real curious and so I just began checking all connectors. Guess what! Found a plug that looked ok but was not locked together (Wire clip missing ). Cleaned it and tied it with wire ties and the car runs fine. Thanks again. Jim
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad to hear it is up and running!

Have a great night!