Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Kia Rio How do you change the brake light on a 2004 Kia R

How do you change the brake light on a 2004 Kia Rio?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

which brake light - the 3rd (center) brake light, or one of the ones in the taillight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is the driver's side stop light. I got the replacement bulbs for them but can't figure out either how to get the assembly off or where the bulb needs to go. My high mount brake light is out too apparently but haven't figured out how to change that either. =)
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

rear stop lamps:

graphic

high mounted stop lamp:

graphic
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sorry, almost forgot this.

to access the nuts to the taillight assembly, you will need to remove the trunk side trim:

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just so you know. I finally got a chance to use the diagrams for my car and they look nothing like the inside of my kia. so I tried anyway and still couldn't get the assembly off. there is a plastic nub thing that sticks out the left side of the inside of it and it won't budge.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

just so I am sure I am pulling up for correct Rio, this is a US sold edition, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that was my understanding from the kia dealership we got it from. however it was 9 mos used as a rental car at one time and had 12,000 miles on it (I know that might not make any difference) but it is a 2004 KIA and every diagram i have seen including yours and even the one that comes in my book is different then what everyone is telling me to do with it. I will try to take a picture of it so you can see =)
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sounds good.

also if you can post the VIN code and I can try to pull up the diagrams from that.

to post a picture, click on the the paperclip icon on the tool section in your reply box. it will only post up to 1mb picture at most, so make sure to keep it at a 4x6 or 3x5 size when you post it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This is the plastic piece that is keeping me from pulling it out. Also do you need my whole VIN. Not sure if i am comfortable posting the whole thing.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

8th digit and the 10th digit will suffice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The 8th digit is a 5 and the 10th digit a 4
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, give me about 15 minutes and see what I can pull up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, that little plastic piece should squeeze inward and then be removed from the body. try having some one use pliers to squeeze it in while you pull the taillight assembly out.

you can also use a small screwdriver to to push in one side of the plastic plug while someone is pulling outward on assembly and then push in on other side until the little flanges on it clear the body
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok let me try that and i will let you know if it works. I will keep my fingers crossed. =)