Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

2005 KIA Sedona: makes a whining noise..noticeable..car warms..park

My 2005 KIA Sedona makes a whining noise when I start the car. It is very noticeable when it's cold. It then diminishes as the car warms up - while in park - but never seems to fully disappear. The same whining noise occurs all the time when accelerating. Every time you hit the gas no matter what speed the whining starts - let off the gas and the whining will stop.
Thanks - Stephen
HiCustomerThank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
Hi there! So the car doesn't actually have to be moving for the noise to occur? Just running right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct. When I start the car in the morning I here the whining right away and that will continue for a few minutes. It does seem to diminish as the car warms up - but my wife and I seem to disagree on how much. Then as soon as it's in any gear and pressing the gas the whining is very noticeable.
Ok, I suspect the whining is likely coming from the alternator bearings or one of the idler pulleys.
Usually the alternator will make some noise when started cold because it starts charging the battery immedietely. Then it should taper off so you don't really hear it when it brings the battery up to full charge. Because you can continue to hear it, I sespect the bearings in it may be the culprit and it may need to be replaced.
I supspect they will remove the belt and spin all of the pulleys by hand to see if any feel rough pulleys.
Hope this helps!