Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2004 Kia Amanti: easiest way..the alternator out of that tight spot

Customer Question

What is the easiest way to get the alternator out of that tight spot on a 2004 Kia Amanti?
Submitted: 3 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, labor is 2.2hrs, so there is some work involved.

Remove the engine fan first:

Disconnect the fan motor connector. Click image to see an enlarged view
3. Remove the shroud mounting bolt (3ea).
4. Remove the shroud and fan motor assembly.
5. Remove the fan mounting clip and remove the fan.
6. Remove the fan motor from the shroud.

Remove the generator mounting bolts and the adjustment bracket then loosen the upper radiator mounts so you can push the radiator slightly forward. Install a piece of cardboard to protect the radiator and manipulate the generator out the top.

Click image to see an enlarged view
graphic

Finally, use a floorjack with a block of wood on it to support the engine at the oilpan so you can unbolt the upper engine mount and raise engine slightly to give enough room to remove the alternator

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Remove the engine fan first:

Disconnect the fan motor connector.
Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic

Edited by eric on 2/13/2011 at 3:26 PM EST
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

I noticed that you viewed and downloaded the answer with diagrams. If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services or factory diagrams provided at their personal expense until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok everything worked out but now my voltage is 11.9 while the car is running, could the regulator be bad?

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, give me a couple of minutes to pull up my schematics for this one.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

the regulator is built in to the alternator, so technically it should be good. most likely it is a defective alternator out of the box( seen this too many times to count), but to be sure, you need to go thru the following tests just to rule out a short or open in the wiring harness:
graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now when the car is off the voltage is 12.3; however when i start it it goes down to 11.5 what could cause that?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

it sounds as if the new alternator is discharging.