Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER
Experience:  30 YEARS EXPERIENCE, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

2002 Kia Rio: timing belt..cylinder..replacing:1..Water pump (new)2.

Hi, I have a 2002 Kia Rio which had thrown a timing belt, subsequently bending (slightly) 2 exhaust valves on cylinder #3. I ended up replacing:
1. Water pump (new)
2. Timing idler and tensioner pulleys (new)
3. Timing belt (new)
4. Cylinder head (used and resurfaced)
5. Cylinder head bolts (new)
I purchased the car for $600.00 with the timing belt issue. It had been taken to a shop where the timing belt ONLY was replaced and got the car running, although not properly since #3 wasn't firing. Also mention that no check engine lights were lit. Also it should be mentioned that the engine had never been overheated, all journals were clean as new. After replacing the head and reinstalling the timing belt, the engine will start when it is cold, but once it warms up, will not idle. I can keep it running by maintaining a higher RPM, (about 2000 +) but it is not driveable. I noticed the aftermarket timing belt I used ( not the one the mechanic installed) does not seem to fit correctly. There is (I feel) too much slack either between the two cam gears, or between the exhaust cam gear and the idler pulley. The tensioner pulley, when released, goes to the full tight position, but still doesn't remove the slack. I tried the belt that the mechanic installed and even though it is bit snugger, the tensioner remains at full tight and slack is present. Is there a specific belt for the 1.5L that only Kia makes? There belt is easily twice the price of any aftermarket belt, but the have 137 teeth just like the aftermarket belts.Any ideas?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the tensioner is all the way out, then you either have the wrong belt, or the head was machined too much, which will let the cam gear be too low, and the belt will be too long, i doubt it is a problem with the belt, if both the factory and the aftermarkey have the same amount of teeth, I woud be checking the head first, its either the wrong year of head, or they machined it too much,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER
Experience: 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL