Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Kia owner since 1999, Kia repair since 1995. Have up to date Kia info

Kia rio: and got codes p300 p0301 p0302 p0304 and p0496

Customer Question

i have a 06 kia rio and i did a diagnostic on it and got codes p0300 p0301 p0302 p0304 and p0496, and i just want to know what it means and how can i fix my problem?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

I am Scott and I will assist you with your vehicle concern.

Your P0300 is a multiple misfire code. The P0310-304 is cylinders 1-4. I would, for starters, check to be sure there is no oil on the plug boots. Sometimes this happens and it causes a misfire. Also moisture will cause this. I f the vehicles engine was pressure cleaned, moisture can get into the plug tubes and create a miss.

The first check, pull the wires out of the hole and check for oil, water in the plug tubes or carbon traces on the plugs.

Finally, the P0496 is a high EVAP purge flow.This could be anything from a stuck EVAPORATIVE canister purge solenoid to a leak in the EVAP system, which can also set the multiple misfires.

The EVAP system can be diagnosed through the use of a Scan tool to interface the system and turn on and off valves while smoke checking it at the same time. This gives a quick and accurate diagnosis.