Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Kia Sorento EX my check engine light came on the other, day,

Customer Question

my check engine light came on the other, day, I went to Orielly auto, and did a free diognostic and the 2 messages were 1,transmission control system malfunction, and 2. input/turbine speed sensor circuit range/performance, however it seems to be operating fine, and shifting ok, but the first time i saw the light come on, it was early morning very cold, my car is garaged every night so no need to warm up, it was slow going up hill, like a tranmission problem but now it shifts fine, but the light check engine light stays on
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Replace your input speed sensor and erase codes and problem should be gone. Here is a picture location of sensor on transmission. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

P0716 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Performance - With Automatic Transmission

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Input/Turbine speed sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage)
  • Input/Turbine speed sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • Input/Turbine speed sensor has failed
  • PCM has failed
Engine speed more than 1,500 rpm; throttle angle over 12.5%, vehicle speed more than 25 mph, and the TCM detected that the Input Speed Sensor 1 or 2 indicated less than 600 rpm. The Input Sensor of the RXC Auto transmission is composed of S1 (Sensor 1) and S2 (Sensor2). S1 inputs signals to TCM only at 4th gear and S2 does at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Therefore, sensing pulse frequency using both these signals, the TCM calculates the Input shaft speed and computes Turbine rotation. This value is mainly used to control the optimum fluid pressure during shifting.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just to let you know, the light went out on it's own, i drove it around using the manual shift, stopped at QT and when i came out of the store, i accidently set off the alsrm, i really have no idea if that contributed to the light going out, but maybe it just needed to be reset or something, well I don't know, but it running great, and i don't have that annoying check engine light anymore.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Thats good to hear, probably because you havent hit any high snow.....I think it would be a good idea to get some dielectric grease and put it on the connector of the speed sensor to keep moisture out. let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dielectric grease the speed sensor connectors, hopefully i can find some dielectric grease at O rielly's thanks .
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
They usually have small packets they will give out for free. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.