Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist

1999 Kia: heater is blowing cold air only

I have a 1999 Kia, the heater is blowing cold air only. Can driving this car cause damage to it?
Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Do you have a temp guage in the vehicle? how low was the coolant? Is engine running ok?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The temp was normal the very short trip that I took when I did drive the car with the cold air blowing.

how much water did you have to add? do you see any leaks? did topping off water help get heat back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Anti Freeze was added to the overflow, but no water was added and there was no leaks either.
ok, thanks. As long as you watch engine temp close, you keep fluid filled you can drive the vehcile. First signs of engine running bad or temp going high? then dont drive. Unsure about the heat. You have to feel both heater hoses under hood where they go through firewall. If both warm to hot, then somehting happened with dash controls. If one is cold and other hot, then you could have bad thermostat. just keep eye on temp guage. watch that coolant level. You can then safely drive the vehicle
BTW"; you will not damge the engine as long as temp stays in the normal range.