Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

2005 Sorento: stalls..one dealership, they..crank sensor..repair shop

My 2005 Sorento randomly stalls out when idle. Took it to one dealership, they said it was the throttle position sensor and the crank sensor. Took it to another car repair shop and they said only the throttle position sensor. We have replaced the throttle position sensor and had it reset with the dealership but the problem is not fully corrected. Could the crank sensor solve the problem? Is there any other reason this is happening? The car has 102k miles.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 3 years ago.
Yes the crank sensor is very common was the engine light ever on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it was on at one time. After replacing the throttle position sensor and resetting it, the check engine light has never come back on. It doesn't always stall out, just randomly. And so far is always starts right back up. We are just wondering if the crank sensor can really cause the stall out or does that have more to do with the cranking. I guess we don't understand the full role of the crank sensor. Thanks!
If it was the crank sensor it would not start right back up . Was the ECM updated when the throttle position sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure. What is the ECM?
The vehicles computer. It does start right back up after it stalls correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Then, yes, I believe it was updated. That's why we had to take it back to the dealership so they could do the update. And, yes, it starts right back up after it stalls. Sometimes it will stall again right away, and then other times it won't stall for another day or two.
Ok this can be an ignition switch issue or idle air control valve issue. These need to be checked next.Most common is a sticking idle air control valve. These need to be checked next. Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I will check those, but what do you think about the possibility of it being the crank sensor? Would a low input read on that cause it to stall?
It will not start right back up right away if it was a crank sensor it would take a few minutes until it cooled down . So doubtful its the crank sensor. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also, just found out that the rubber air mask tube (not sure what this is formally called) coming from the air cleaner to the injectors has a hole in it. It has been taped for the time being. Is it possible that this hole could be causing and incorrect airflow or air intake and causing the stall?
Yes absolutely that can cause this issue. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master